PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A used thermostat

sp53
02-07-2014, 05:48 PM
This might be a stupid question because I have used thermostat in the past that would blank of the bypass opening, but I found this old thermostat with the project car I got and it does not have a solid piece to close the bypass, and it looks complete or I cannot see where something came off. It says AC made in England

TuffTR250
02-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I was surprized. About a year ago when I was working to get my newly acquired TR3 in a state to run, I pulled the thermostat, and it had a thermostat just like the one you picture. I soaked it in A-1 Sauce to clean it up and then tested it in hot water with a candy thermometer and it was very accurate. It seems to work ok. Good luck with yours.
Regards,
Bob

tinman58
02-07-2014, 07:58 PM
A-1 sauce? I think that you have the correct stat for the TR3 "A BELLOWS TYPE" it will slide up and down. I am sure that Randell will chime in with a more accurate decription.

TR4nut
02-07-2014, 08:05 PM
I have a few of those, definitely bellows type, but not I think for TR3 as it is missing the blanking sleeve. Plenty of UK cars used that style is my guess.

It should work, though, in a TR3 just like any other thermostat that doesn't have that sleeve.

TR3driver
02-08-2014, 04:05 AM
But of course with all the shortcomings of the aneroid (aka bellows) type thermostat.

TuffTR250
02-08-2014, 04:53 PM
A guy in our Triumph club suggested A1 sauce. It cleans up brass real well. I suspect it may be the vinegar or whatever acid type ingredient is in A-1 Sauce.
Regards,
Bob