PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Questions about 60 TR 3

John_Progess
01-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Are the side curtain brackets on the doors chrome plated, zinc plated or painted? I have seen pictures of some dashes with covering that looks like it has stitching where the steering column is located. Is this true for all cars? My project has 83 mm pistons with a G stamped on them so probably original? Is it better to replace with new pistons and liners or have the liners bored for oversized pistons? Should I go for 86 mm pistons and liners? Moss has them on sale now. Can someone post a picture of the dipper switch and bracket. My vin number is a little more than 69000. Thanks and have a good day!

John

PKPoole
01-20-2014, 05:24 PM
John,
On the piston/liners: I've done both with the liners: bored and bought new. The price isn't that different but you often can catch a sale on a piston/liner set. I've found it difficult to find the 83mm pistons and generally just fleet up to the 86's. Good luck. Pat

martx-5
01-20-2014, 06:22 PM
The new side curtain Dzus brackets I bought from Moss for the post 60K cars are painted a hammertone silver, which i believe to be correct, although I have seen them chrome plated. The earlier wedge curtain brackets were chrome plated.

As far as the dash around the steering column, yes there were some that had that pocket stitched. I don't know if that is stock or not, but the dash covering used to be available with that pocket in there. I don't know if they still are. When I did my dash (in leather) that area of the dash was the trickiest part to get right.

TFB
01-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Are the side curtain brackets on the doors chrome plated, zinc plated or painted? I have seen pictures of some dashes with covering that looks like it has stitching where the steering column is located. Is this true for all cars? My project has 83 mm pistons with a G stamped on them so probably original? Is it better to replace with new pistons and liners or have the liners bored for oversized pistons? Should I go for 86 mm pistons and liners? Moss has them on sale now. Can someone post a picture of the dipper switch and bracket. My vin number is a little more than 69000. Thanks and have a good day!

John

Hey John,I do vintage MC cylinders,should be similar,and pay about $75 a hole to bore and finish fit and hone and then you still need pistons and rings,.I think the new liners will be the most cost effective unless you do your own machine work.Tom

Marvin Gruber
01-20-2014, 07:41 PM
John
I sent you a pm about pistons and liners.

Marv

TR3driver
01-20-2014, 08:34 PM
I believe the stitching around the column was only on earlier cars. Later cars used a molded covering on the dash, rather than glued-on sheet vinyl, which did not need a seam there.

And even cars with "leather interior" did not have leather on the dash. Just seats & cockpit rails.

Having liners bored can be marginally cheaper, but you need to find someone set up to do it right and of course your old liners have to be in good shape (besides needing a rebore of course). I've always been a sucker for the big bore kits, so that's what I've used.

There's been a lot of debate over dimmer switches. Near as I can tell, there were at least three combinations of switch and bracket, with little rhyme or reason as to which one was fitted. My earlier cars have all had this style
https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/TS39781LO/th_DSCF0017.jpg (https://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/TS39781LO/DSCF0017.jpg.html)
but later cars apparently used this
https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/Misc%20parts/th_Dimmerswitch.jpg (https://s258.photobucket.com/user/TR3driver/media/Misc%20parts/Dimmerswitch.jpg.html)

And there was at least one more, that I don't have a photo of.

PS, I agree, your car should have painted side curtain brackets. Only the early wedge type brackets were chromed originally.

PPS, it works out better for others if you post your questions separately, with titles to match. There are a lot of people who don't have time to read every post and just scan titles for the topics they are interested in. I think it also works out better for you (as the poster), improves your odds of getting answers to all the questions.

Geo Hahn
01-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Ah, we have so many questions!

I had my side curtain brackets plated in a brushed nickel which is pretty tough stuff yet looks good w/o a lot of bling.

When I recovered the dash with a kit (probably form Moss) it had that tuck around the steering column stitched -- that made it a cinch to fit it perfectly.

I recently went with the 86mm liners and pistons offered by Moss -- I hope your install goes as easily as mine. The old popped out w/o any fuss and the new fitted up with no leaks and just the right amount of liner above the head.

Mine (TS47901L) has the first dipper switch pictured in Randall's post except I finally flipped the bracket 180. I use that switch as a 'dead pedal' for my left foot and it is more comfortable for me with it a bit more forward.

TR3TR6
01-20-2014, 11:41 PM
John, I had my liners rebored, it was cheaper then buying the liner piston kit. I went with the large bore. If you go this route, look for a machine shop that does street rod cars. I had them do my Triumph and Mustang and they both turned out very well.

croz
01-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Hello John,
1. The side curtain brackets are silver/grey Hammerite finish. I had mine ceramic coated in satin black.
2. The leather/vinyl interior package that I ordered from Moss has stitching at the steering column cutout.
3. When my engine was rebuilt I went with the larger 87mm piston, ring and sleeve kit offered, at the time, by BPNW. Engine builders over borecylinders to obtain larger engine displacement increasing capacity and horsepower. You may want to replace the camshaft while you are at it. I also went with ceramic coated headers and twin exhaust.
4. My dip switch resembles photo 2 above.
Cheers,
Steve