PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A fan

sp53
01-13-2014, 10:09 AM
I am going to need a fan for my new project. Is the yellow TR6fan available somewhere? I could not find a listing? And what is a good sourcefor the BMW fan. I am not sure which model BMW I would find it on. Would someonehave a picture of the BMW fan?

Marvin Gruber
01-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Vicky Brit has them listed, there's are blue # 10-075 for $99.95. I have used yellow ones ( with stains) for a lot less.

Marv

PeterK
01-13-2014, 10:45 AM
BMW 2002 tii fan is what I used. Around $40 IIRC. It also takes enlarging/slotting the mounting holes in the plastic. But other than that it's a bolt on.

sp53
01-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Ok Peter is that the one with the offset blades?

TuffTR250
01-14-2014, 10:34 AM
FYI. A while back I did a test by mounting fans on an electric motor where I could feel the air movement generated by the fan. I mounted a yellow TR250/TR6 fan the right way around, and then mounted it backward since most times the yellow fan will not fit a TR3 the right way around because it hits the radiator. For the third test I then mounted a red BMW fan with the offset blades. My unofficial results were as following:
#1) The yellow fan mounted the right way round moved the most air by far and the air flow was straight back from the fan.
#2) The BMW fan moved the the air fairly good but not nearly as much as the yellow TR fan. The air from the BMW fan also moved straight back from the fan.
#3) The yellow fan mounted backward moved the least amount of air. In addition the air flow was out from the sides of the fan, not straight back.

Just my non-scientific guess but I believe the sideways airflow of the backward mounted yellow TR fan does not sufficiently pull air through the radiator when the car is not moving, i.e. stopped at lights or in heavy traffic. I believe the air is just blown around inside the engine compartment. I have a yellow TR250 fan installed backward on my TR3 and I am not happy with the airflow and cooling capability in hot North Carolina summers. I plan to install an electric fan.
Regards,
Bob

TFB
01-14-2014, 11:16 AM
FYI. A while back I did a test by mounting fans on an electric motor where I could feel the air movement generated by the fan. I mounted a yellow TR250/TR6 fan the right way around, and then mounted it backward since most times the yellow fan will not fit a TR3 the right way around because it hits the radiator. For the third test I then mounted a red BMW fan with the offset blades. My unofficial results were as following:
#1) The yellow fan mounted the right way round moved the most air by far and the air flow was straight back from the fan.
#2) The BMW fan moved the the air fairly good but not nearly as much as the yellow TR fan. The air from the BMW fan also moved straight back from the fan.
#3) The yellow fan mounted backward moved the least amount of air. In addition the air flow was out from the sides of the fan, not straight back.

Just my non-scientific guess but I believe the sideways airflow of the backward mounted yellow TR fan does not sufficiently pull air through the radiator when the car is not moving, i.e. stopped at lights or in heavy traffic. I believe the air is just blown around inside the engine compartment. I have a yellow TR250 fan installed backward on my TR3 and I am not happy with the airflow and cooling capability in hot North Carolina summers. I plan to install an electric fan.
Regards,
Bob

I have wondered about the negative affects of the Tropical fan and these different plastic fans before I decided to go electric.I think you move more air,it takes more hp.Be interesting to put ammeter on the electic motor and see the difference ,especially at 4-5krpm when then fan uses the most hp,and the airflow is needed the least.Then maybe an accelerometer on your set up to measure the vibration(balance)since static balancing doesnt account for out of pitch blades which is probably not a problem with moulded fans..
Have Fun
Tom

sp53
01-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Nice information Bob thanks. Now I am leaning toward the BMWfan, but I would prefer a tropical. I tried an electric fan years ago with astock electrical system, and it pull too much on those winter nights with theheater, wipers, radio, and lights on.

PeterK
01-16-2014, 11:24 AM
yes it is Steve

Ok Peter is that the one with the offset blades?

PeterK
01-16-2014, 11:28 AM
FWIW Chris Marx originally posted the BMW fan for his race car setup but he has since changed it out. Don't reall what he is now using. But then again, if you've ever seen his race videos, some are with the BMW fan which would adequately cool my 3A for fast street driving.

croz
01-16-2014, 11:47 AM
I installed the TR6 (blue) fan on the shortened extension. This along with a re-cored radiator (without the crank hole), upgraded water pump, bellows thermostat, air flow duct and Water Wetter seem to have controlled the overheating-in-warm-weather blues.
I'm pretty sure that the fan is the right way around.
Steve

croz
01-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Here's, the image ...

Darrell_Walker
01-16-2014, 03:44 PM
I tried an electric fan years ago with astock electrical system, and it pull too much on those winter nights with the heater, wipers, radio, and lights on.

Was the fan controlled by a thermostat? I wouldn't expect it to be on much under those conditions, and then only when idling for extended periods of time.

TuffTR250
01-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Croz, yes your fan is on the right way around. They move a lot of air that way around.
Regards,
Bob

croz
01-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the confirmation Bob.
I tried to do everything possible to avoid the electric fan. So far the only overheat problem was caused when the bellows thermostat slowly failed. At some point a solder joint failed. It sits on the bench as a reminder and still has water inside.
BTW there is a big melt down going on in Calgary. This should get rid of a lot of snow. Temperature may hit 13 C (55 F) tomorrow. Winter?
Residential roads are still far to messy to get the TR3 out for a run, although ...
Cheers, Steve

TR3driver
01-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Be interesting to put ammeter on the electic motor

Duh! Why didn't I think of that! Gonna have to try that experiment some time. Preferably with a DC motor where I can vary the speed.

sp53
01-20-2014, 12:04 AM
So there is room to put the bluefan on without putting it on backwards. It must be tight.

croz
01-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Hello SP53,
You should probably have a look at the shortened fan hub extension available though Moss.
See the link https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=66775
Cheers,
Steve

sp53
01-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Ok I see. I have some different extensions,but nothing that short.

Vila
01-22-2014, 08:29 PM
The Roadster Factory is working on a yellow TR6 fan. A few months ago they had an article on there website on the progress of trying to get the yellow color correct. The photo of the sample looked great.

You may want to "CALL" them to see when it will be available. I would call and would not use their generic email address; they don't use it. I had a question about a $1,000+ order I wanted to place and never got an answer until I called them, then they researched my question and emailed me back the answer using Albert's personal business email address.

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi