PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust delima...

VanHalenMan
04-30-2005, 12:06 AM
I just picked up a muffler dual 2 1/4 in and dual 3 out.

I'm an idiot...

I was going to run 2 1/4 inch exhaust all the way back but now that I look at it, it seems waaaaay too big...

What is the recomended diameter for a custom exhaust... what is too big. I mean, its only a 2.5 liter... I don't know what I was thinking...

What is the best way to go dual or single?
What is the best diameter.
What gives the best tone?

Please someone fill me in. I'm recarded.

VanHalenMan
04-30-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm still shocked I acutally bought this muffler, I'm an idiot...

VanHalenMan
04-30-2005, 03:20 AM
Please someone respond. The only car I put exhaust on was a turbo eclipse, this is nothing like the TR6, I'm all alone in this venture right now, so I really need some input so I don't ruin this beautiful vehicle.

Alan_Myers
04-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Hi,

TR6?

I'm not sure the original exhaust pipe diameter, but 2" to 2-1/2" is doable, for a single pipe exhaust. You can get reducers and use smaller pipe if you wish.

I wouldn't use that large a pipe for a dual exahust. It will give too little back pressure, might make reduce your low end torque to nil.

I used to run 2-1/2" single pipe on my TR4, coming off a header, with a Ford muffler. It sounded pretty good for a homemade system. Now I've got 2" stainless single exhaust, also with a single "full flow" muffler, also off a header. But, I haven't had a chance to run the car with this setup and see how it performs.

That's a 2.2L engine. The original pipes were 1-3/4" and about the largest "street" pipe used on TR4 is 2-1/8". So, you might want to reduce to 2 or 2-1/4" pipe in a single exhaust. Dual exhaust would probably be best kept to 1-1/2 or 1-3/4" pipes.

Hope this helps!

Alan

TRED
04-30-2005, 08:32 AM
I am trying to run a single 5" exhaust pipe off my turbo in my TR6, and you think you have trouble.

waltesefalcon
04-30-2005, 02:24 PM
I would probably try and go with a 2" pipe, anything bigger and you may have back pressure issues. For mufflers, I'd probably just run glass packs, probably 24" ones, to keep the sounds down some, but still give the great sound.

Dave Russell
04-30-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to run a single 5" exhaust pipe off my turbo in my TR6,

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
D

TRED
04-30-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
D

[/ QUOTE ]
Plan is to make near 900 HP with a big v8. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

04-30-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why?
D

[/ QUOTE ]

Was wondering that myself, seems like a bit of overkill. My buddy is running a 95mm HKS setup (roughly 3&3/4" I think) on his 97 Supra turbo with a 3 liter straight 6, and that car is throwing down 450hp at the wheels. I can't imagine a TR6 motor, even with a turbo, even coming close to that kind of power, so why would you need a 5" exhaust?

**edit** Ah, OK, just saw your reply TRED, I thought you were talking about a turbo charged Triumph straight 6. Good luck fitting a 5 incher under that thing, especially if you plan on lowering the car at all. I'd love to see it when it's done though.

Dave Russell
04-30-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Plan is to make near 900 HP with a big v8. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
The turbo's turbine removes a lot of heat & thus volume from the exhaust gasses, which reduces the need for a large exit pipe. In my opinion, a 5" pipe is way too large. What A/R ratio are you planning to run on the turbine?
D

TRED
05-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Its a large frame Garrett with a .96 exhaust A/R, the outlet flange is 5".