View Full Version : Spitfire Spitfire 1500 Mechanical Fuel Pump & Spacer

12-16-2013, 12:09 PM
So my new project 79 Spitfire 1500 isn't getting any fuel. The previous owner had bypassed the mechanical pump in favor or an electric, which is currently dead as well. I'd like to use the original mechanical pump rather than just running another electric job, so I braved the blizzard on Saturday and unbolted the mechanical pump. My intention is to rebuild it, or if I can't get a rebuild kit, buy a replacement pump.

Couple questions based on my observations:

1. When I removed the pump it was bolted directly to the block and someone had used some hi-heat silicone as a gasket. I thought the 1500 Spitfires all had a spacer between the pump and the block? True? Maybe the last guy couldn't get the mechanical pump to work because he didn't have the spacer installed?

2. Is there a rebuild kit available for the mechanical pump? I can't seem to find one at any of the usual suppliers? (unless I am just blind)

3. Is there a particular trick to re-installing the pump to ensure it's engaged the cam correctly? (this is my first time working on a mechanical pump)


12-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Nobody yet...Maybe some pics of the pump will help:



Moss Motors lists the following:

377-410 Mechanical Fuel Pump for 78-80
Note: This pump uses spacer 377-415

377-400 Fuel Pump, Mechanical for 73-78
Note: This pump does not use a spacer.

The above would suggest that my car (a 79) should use 377-410 WITH a spacer. However, before I go ahead and order something that doesn`t work in my car I like to confirm. The pump pictured above is the one I pulled from my car, which had NO spacer on it when I pulled it. Whether it was working or not is anyone`s guess, however there does seem to be a shiny spot on the arm where I assume the cam was engaging it. Can anyone tell whether the pictured pump is supposed to be used with a spacer?

12-17-2013, 06:06 AM
According to The Roadster Factory and Spitbits catalogs, early 1500 engine fuel pumps didn't require a spacer and they had a straight arm (up to FM93157), later ones did require a spacer and they had a curved arm (FM93158 on). Yours appears to be a straight arm (I think).

12-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks - that lines up with what the Moss catalogue says. Maybe someone put a earlier pump on my car? Can anyone confirm whether the pump I have pictured above is consider a curved or straight arm?

Aaron Johnson
12-19-2013, 06:19 AM
That is a straight arm pump that is used without the spacer.

As as far as installing ther is nothing tricky about it. Just push it in and bolt it up.
I don't believe there is a rebuild kit for them. They were a disposable part.

12-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks Aaron.
Since I am going to be buying a new pump anyway, should I buy the correct (for my 79) curved arm pump and spacer?

Aaron Johnson
12-21-2013, 01:10 AM
I don't really think there is a difference between the two as far as performance. Which one is cheaper? If you are looking for original than get the spacer and curved. Be careful though as it needs two gaskets and and has two spots to leak oil if it isn't sealed correctly.