PDA

View Full Version : Trunk light

Slider748
04-27-2005, 03:10 AM
My trunk light only works when the lights are on. Is this normal?

04-27-2005, 09:16 AM
I think the trunk light should be operable at all times (battery hot) and not dependent on the light switch position. It should come on all the time, at least thats how it is on my TR6.

danmas
04-27-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My trunk light only works when the lights are on. Is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the year. Up until 1974, the trunk light operated independantly of the parking lights. From '74 on, they were wired to come on only if the parking lights are on.

04-27-2005, 02:11 PM
For those of you that need this and other electrical questions answered, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to purchase Dan Masters' book on Triumph electricals. Everything you could possibly ask is answered in this great book with pictures and diagrams to boot. I am sure that you can contact Dan from the above post (danmas@aol.com) and he would be more than happy to sell you one. It's like Triumph Electricals for Dummies. (I don't mean to embarrass you, Dan, but I couldn't help but promote your book, it is that good.)

Bill

LastDeadLast
04-27-2005, 02:13 PM
I second Bill's comments. Dan's book has more than paid for itself. He not only tells you how the stock electrical system works, but how to perform mods like electric fan's and alternator upgrades.

04-27-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm in, how much for a copy of this tome?

Boy that seems dumb though, to change the trunk light from 74 on. Why wouldn't you want the light to come on at any time? I think it would be a little annoying to have to reach in the car and flip on the parking lights just to get some light in the trunk.

jsneddon
04-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Real men don't have lights in their trunks! (or rollup windows)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<Jim ducks and runs for cover>

04-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey, I know what you mean. I did ten years of daily driving in my Jeep Wrangler, including several trips to Toronto, Kentucky and 2 round trips to Florida from NJ, with no A/C, roll up windows, or trunk light (no trunk for that matter), and a kidney buster suspension. I consider myself a real man for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif