PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Putting an XKE engine in a TR3?

karls59tr
11-30-2013, 08:13 PM
I know someone whose next project is to replace the ailing engine in his Jaguar XJS with a small block 350. This conversion has been done with success by many others. This person has an Austin A40, Austin Healy Sprite and an MGBGT so he has an appreciation for classic cars in stock form. I know someone else who has been toying with the idea of putting a Jaguar motor that is in good shape into a TR3. He is also a British sports car afficianado who owns a Jag 12OS, an early Healy 3000 and an unrestored daily driver TR3 so he is not your average hot rodder type but someone who has an appreciation for classic cars but is just thinking of doing something different.The purists will say don't do it to the TR3/Jag project but others will say it's his car he can do what he wants with it. But I was wondering about the actual practicality of putting a Six cylinder Jag motor in the TR3. Would the battery box and firewall have to be cut out for the power train to fit? what about motor mount location?Would there be much difference in the weight of the engines? Would there be a notable increase in torque and power to make it a worthwhile project. Or is this project just too :indecisiveness:far out in left field? Any thoughts?

TomMull
11-30-2013, 08:54 PM
It is twice as big and twice as heavy. The only reason to try it would be to see if it can be done (I suspect it can be done and maybe already has). In my opinion, the result would not be fun to drive.
Tom

Geo Hahn
11-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Dunno about most of what you asked but...

...Would there be a notable increase in torque and power...

Oh yeah!

Without going out to the garage and looking -- I would think that the height of the XK engine would be a challenge. A DOHC set-up seems tall compared to a push-rod engine.

UltimateQuestion
11-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Why not put a RR Merlin in the TR? It would probably be just as easy:topsy_turvy:

luke44
11-30-2013, 10:09 PM
If you can do it with a Sprite, you can do it with a TR3...:wink-new:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/11143161995_a7d2a72bc9_o.jpg

Healey_Z
11-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Very surprised to see that same motor in the sprite without the firewall being hacked to pieces.

mrv8q
11-30-2013, 11:45 PM
I know someone whose next project is to replace the ailing engine in his Jaguar XJS with a small block 350.

https://www.johnscars.com/

karls59tr
11-30-2013, 11:46 PM
If you can do it with a Sprite, you can do it with a TR3...:wink-new:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/11143161995_a7d2a72bc9_o.jpg

Holy crap! That looks like one fun machine to drive!:eagerness:

sammyb
12-01-2013, 12:44 AM
While I understand why people do such things...on the other hand, I'll never understand why people would ACTUALLY do such a thing. There's no lack of sense of speed in a TR3. If one really wants to go fast, instead of hacking up and creating a hot rod that handles like crud and is still slower than a modern Toyota Camry, but costs tens of thousands to put together, why not simply buy a car with a higher-revving DOHC engine that is faster? Certainly a Toyota Supra or RX7 from 1993 would run circles around a Jag-powered TR3 for less than the cost of creating it.

Maybe I just like that a TR3 drives like a TR3, a Lotus Elan drives like a Lotus Elan, a Corvette drives like a Corvette, a Model A drives like a Model A, a Ferrari 328 drives like a 328 and my truck drives like a truck.

trrdster2000
12-01-2013, 10:36 AM
It would be a very impressive look, but I think it would drive like a Healey 3000 on steroids, which means you would get a good look at the back end of the car on every enthusiastic corner.
Just my 2 cents.

Wayne

Geo Hahn
12-01-2013, 11:38 AM
...There's no lack of sense of speed in a TR3. If one really wants to go fast, ...why not simply buy a car with a higher-revving DOHC engine that is faster?

Which is why (for the second time in my life) our garage has a TR3 & an E-Type. I love driving either and as for 'sense of speed' the TR3 truly has more of that.

...Maybe I just like that a TR3 drives like a TR3, a Lotus Elan drives like a Lotus Elan, a Corvette drives like a Corvette...

I agree that something of the essential character of a car is lost when extreme engine transplants are performed -- but there will always be fans of such mods and one can only hope they are done in a responsible and even elegant manner.

https://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/TR3/chopped-tr_zpsb8c423cc.jpg