View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR-3A mystery blindnut

11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm restoring a 1959 TR-3A and am currently in the process of replacing the interior panels. While sizing and cutting the new panels I noticed a blind nut firmly mounted in the same spot on both sides. It's fixed in the sheet metal and is not caged. I'm using the original panels as a rough pattern and there is no hole through the panel or the old vinyl.

Does anyone have an idea what these are for? They take a 1/4-20 bolt.

30199 30198


11-26-2013, 11:16 AM
I checked, My '60 and '55 do not have those nuts.

https://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/cjdurant/_DSC5733.jpg (https://s1082.photobucket.com/user/cjdurant/media/_DSC5733.jpg.html)

11-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Hmmmm.......not sure what they are for. My '58 (TS33077L) does not have them.


11-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Was pretty sure not one on mine either, but just had some fun going through pics of my restoration ... finally found couple that show no such nut on my 56. Cheers, Mike



11-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Mine doesn't have anything there either. Must have been DPO added. :excitement:

11-26-2013, 04:40 PM
That's really strange that I'm the only one. Now that I think about it, unlike the rest of the nuts, the threads didn't need to be cleared out. The tub was off the frame and on a jig for all the body and paint work so perhaps my paint guy installed them as an attach point for a brace to help stabilize the body fore and aft. I'll have to give him a call. I have some photos while it was being painted so maybe one of them will solve the mystery.

Thanks for all the feedback!


11-26-2013, 05:18 PM
almost certainly not standard. Bob

11-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Mystery solved! They were used to brace the body.

30208 30209

Thanks for the feedback...


11-26-2013, 05:34 PM
If and when you figure it out, please let us know. I thought about a mount point for an aftermarket hardtop or a place to attach a wind screen, but it's too far forward to be either of those.


11-26-2013, 05:39 PM
OK that makes sense. Welding to the back side of the dogleg panel couldn't have been easy though.