PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Squeaky back suspension

Scotsman
11-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Squeaky back suspension

I recently went over a curb with my right front and back wheels. Since then the back left suspension of my TR3A has started to squeak/screech if I rock up and down, or when driving going over bumps etc. It does not squeak otherwise.
On a cursery look the lever shock absorber, front end alignment, leaf springs, etc look OK. It sits level.
Any suggestions as to what may be causing this?

MGTF1250Dave
11-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Aloha, it has been my experience that rear suspension noise often indicates that the rear shock mounting blocks have worked loose.

Gordon_Dedrick
11-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Metallic "clunks" when going over bumps indeed might be loose rear shocks. The bolts are tough to tighten next to the frame. More likely are the rear springs and bushings. I've had both......fixing the bolts corrected the metal clunk. oiling and lubricating the springs and bushings got rid of the squeaks!

Scotsman
11-11-2013, 03:02 AM
No clunks, just a bad squeak. I have checked for mice and found none!

vivdownunder
11-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Lube the shocker link rod pivots, leaves and spring ends with PTFE spray. It's more slippery and water resistant than other spray lubes.

If still squeaking, isolate the shocker at the spring plate to tell if spring or shocker.

Geo Hahn
11-11-2013, 04:52 PM
The manual says to lube the springs with used engine oil -- I do this once a year or so when I happen to have the rear wheels off. A messy job even if you use clean oil so I lay a length of cardboard under each spring and keep an old paint brush just for this task. I slather it on pretty liberally then let it sit & drip overnight.