PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Engine bay color different on tr3

sp53
04-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi Tr3 people about 33 yeas ago, I stripped a 1958 tr3 down to bare metal with paint remover. The vehicle had a couple coats of red enamel and the factory Apple green paint, done in Lacquer. Anyways, I cannot remember what the base color of the engine compartment was. I left the engine in the car and had the car painted Midnight Blue and then rattle canned the engine compartment black. I still have the car and now it is BRG with a black engine compartment. I am thinking the engine bay was black from the factory with an Apple green lacquer body? I understand that the engines bays and the body color where the same; however, that lacquer came off hard and I just cannot remember the engine bay color. Has anyone seen an engine bay on tr3 from the factory painted black that is different from body color?
George

Geo Hahn
04-25-2005, 06:49 PM
All the ones I've seen were body color under the bonnet. Given how the bodies were built & painted (off-site at Mulliners) anything else would have been extra effort.

If you are really curious you could remove the commission plate as the the original engine bay (and body) color is usually under there since most do not remove this tag when restoring. Be sure to reinstall with rivets as some MVDs frown on VIN plates attached with screws.

sammyb
04-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Unless specifically specified by special order, the engine bays were always painted body color. If your car was Apple Green from the factory, then the engine bay would have also been Apple Green.

bmurphy7369
04-26-2005, 02:50 AM
I agree with Sam and Geo. Every one I've had and seen (in person and in original assembly line photos, etc.) had the same color in the bay that was on the body... Since you mentioned Apple Green, wasn't that a rare Special Order color for the TR3? If so, you may have a special TR on your hands. It seems like it was only a one year run for the color or by request... someone in here will know. Ever thought of restoring it to the original? BRG is great also, just a really rare find in Apple.

Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

sammyb
04-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Apple Green wasn't really a special order color, rather it was just a low production color, also being referred to as Avocado Green in 1957 American brochures. It is a rare find, though.