PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension Bolts/Nuts - Tub Dolly - LAZY!!!

milemarker60
04-25-2005, 11:50 AM
O.K., I'm about to pull my TR6 tub off the frame and thought I'd ask if anyone out there has info on making a support dolly for it.

Also, has anyone taken the time to log / list all the grade 8 fastners needed when rebuilding the front suspension?

Obviously I can sort all this stuff out but I'm pretty dang lazy and figured if someone had already done either of these things and had the info handy, I'd solicit their knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any relative info.

Dave DeWalt
davedewalt@everestkc.net

Yellowdog
04-25-2005, 03:16 PM
I can't help you with the dolly, I used a frame off a parts car. Just be sure to brace the door openings so you do not end up bending the body.

As for the front end fasteners, I made up a list and then threw it out as it is almost impossible to find bolts with lengths other than 1/2" increments as well as the same shoulder/thread lengths as the originals. I was not too conccerned about historic accuracy so if a bolt was 1/4" too long, I'll never tell. On the other hand, I do not have access to any real hardware stores or auto suppliers so you may have better luck. I do have a list of part numbers from TRF and another descriptive document that describes the fastener codes. While incomplete, they may get you started. I will forward those to your email address above.

71tr
04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
I recently pulled the body off the frame of my '71 TR6. It was an easy job with an engine hoist and a friend. I built a wheeled frame out of 2x6 and 2x4 lumber that has just enough room underneath for the rolling chasis to reside thus saving on space. I used pre-drilled angled steel available in 4-6ft lengths from the local hardware store and bolted same to the A and B pillars where the body wings bolt on to maintain body rigidity and door alignment. Pictures available upon request.

Regarding fasteners, I'm not spending too much time reinventing the wheel here. There are a number of providers on ebay as well as the big three whom offer fastener packages for all applications; suspension, body to frame, underhood, body wings etc. Let me know if you want details and I'll send along some websites.