PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A tr3a hood lift spring assembly

TFB
10-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Does the hood/bonnet lift spring assembly use two cupped washers on each end of the spring or only one on the top of spring.Thanks Tom

Marvin Gruber
10-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Tom,
you can get by with one at the top of the spring but better if you do have two.

Marv

TR3driver
10-31-2013, 05:19 PM
What he said.

TFB
10-31-2013, 06:16 PM
What he said.
29855 Thanks Marv and Randall.Looks like I need to make or order a washer.

Randall,what parts book did those numbers come from?I have the 4th edition that you pointed me to the download,but its limited or me with a post 60k.Suprised TRF doesn't link to a parts book for the factory numbers(unless I just didn't see it) since it seems that's the way a lot of the parts not in their catalogs are listed.Thanks again,Tom

TR3driver
10-31-2013, 06:29 PM
Randall,what parts book did those numbers come from?I have the 4th edition that you pointed me to the download,but its limited or me with a post 60k.
Page 87 of the same one I linked to. The lift assembly is one of the few things that didn't change (AFAIK) at 60k.

You're exactly right about TRF not listing a lot of parts in their "catalogs" (which for the TR3 are really more like popular parts listings, not a comprehensive catalog at all). However, they want to sell you a paper reprint rather than give away a PDF. Years ago, Charles promised to do a full TR3 catalog (similar to the blue & green TR6 catalogs) but never did. And at this point, I think it unlikely that he ever will. They don't even pass out the TR6 catalogs any more.

TFB
10-31-2013, 06:47 PM
Page 87 of the same one I linked to. The lift assembly is one of the few things that didn't change (AFAIK) at 60k.

You're exactly right about TRF not listing a lot of parts in their "catalogs" (which for the TR3 are really more like popular parts listings, not a comprehensive catalog at all). However, they want to sell you a paper reprint rather than give away a PDF. Years ago, Charles promised to do a full TR3 catalog (similar to the blue & green TR6 catalogs) but never did. And at this point, I think it unlikely that he ever will. They don't even pass out the TR6 catalogs any more.

Thanks Randall.I will take another look.I saw the small mouth pic with what appeared to be a different setup.So the later catalog is not available to download?Thanks Tom

luke44
10-31-2013, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure if you'll find just a washer - it's kind of a one-off cup kinda' piece. FWIW, VB are the only supplier I know of that carries the entire assembly as a new piece. Part #12-5722

TR3driver
10-31-2013, 11:26 PM
As far as I know, the 4th edition (with accumulative amendment 3 dated June 1962 plus supplemental amendment 5 dated June 1964) is the last version that the factory ever issued. None of the drawings were ever updated, even when the later parts are listed (as is the case with the hood lift).
I do occasionally update my copy with more info (eg I added a plate with the generator mounting and some notes here and there), but not very often. There are way too many other interesting documents that I don't have scanned at all.

Tr3aguy
11-03-2013, 07:11 AM
29892 I had two.

TFB
11-03-2013, 08:19 AM
29892 I had two.

Thanks Luke for the Vivtoria BRitish info.Ia saw the assembly when looking for an exploded view.Thanks TR3aguy for this perfect pic.Tom

Marvin Gruber
11-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Tom,
If you can't find just the one cupped washer, use a big flat one that is close ( or bigger) than the cupped one on the top, it doesn't move as much as the upper one. It should work fine.

Marv

luke44
11-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Coincidentally I was sorting through some old parts today.

I came across 2 spare washers in good shape - they need a quick clean up but otherwise are OK. PM me if you need want to go that way and need them.