PDA

View Full Version : TR4/4A Fan Ext rubbing Steering Rack

texbears3
10-21-2013, 10:33 AM
67 TR4A - Fan extention is rubbing on the steering rack. Engine mounts and transmission mounts are good condition.
Has anyone else had this problem? Should make some shims to lift the engine alittle bit?

Darrell_Walker
10-21-2013, 11:21 AM
I had that problem (back when I was running the stock extension). It actually machined a groove in the extension. Shimming it up a bit solved the problem, there may even be a part number for shims, but they are easy to make up.

TR4nut
10-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Do you have the round front mounts? I like the Powertune ones, seem a little stiffer but I don't know if it would solve your problem - but you could easily slot a couple of large washers and shim if you need to I think.

texbears3
10-21-2013, 01:54 PM
I have the rectangular engine mounts, Yeap, the fan ext has a wear mark match the rack.
Will make some shimes to lift the engine.
Thanks for your support.

TR4A_IRS
10-21-2013, 02:31 PM
The round mounts are thicker than the square ones. I switched to them to solve this exact problem. No shims were required with the round mounts.

KVH
10-21-2013, 08:42 PM
The difference in thickness for the sets I ordered was negligible so I added slotted washers.

RJS
10-21-2013, 09:27 PM
My fan extension was always within 1mm of the steering rack. When I replaced the round motor mounts I used the opportunity to insert a round differential mount washer under the mount to add clearance. It worked great. As an aside, I used the Power Tune HD motor mounts and was pleasantly shocked at the reduction in NVH from the engine. It drove like a new car.

Bob

HerronScott
10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
My fan extension was always within 1mm of the steering rack. When I replaced the round motor mounts I used the opportunity to insert a round differential mount washer under the mount to add clearance. It worked great.
Bob

Same here with regards to using the round differential mount washer as a shim.

Scott