PDA

View Full Version : Valve stem seals

expatlondoner
04-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Without pulling the head has anyone here replaced valve stem seals on a Cooper ? Mine has a 1.3 injection. Thanks- Spencer
Incidentally, for anyone in the Atlanta area there is a get together tomorrow (Sat 4/23/05) in Carrollton at Brusters ice cream place. It's mainly the Atl Mini Club with new Minis caravaning over, but I have got together some of the local Mini owner contingent.
Cheers.

dklawson
04-23-2005, 09:53 AM
The succinct answer is yes, this task can be done on the car. However, I've never seen an injected A- (or A+) series. If you don't have fuel and/or electrical lines from the injection system routed OVER the top of the valve cover you can do this yourself.

First visit:
https://www.austinamericausa.com/
Click on the links from the opening page to "Technical Advice" from that page click the link to "Engine Transmission and Clutch"
Towards the bottom you'll see pictures of this task being done on my engine. I made my tool for compressing the spring, however, you can buy a similar one commercially.

ThomP
04-23-2005, 10:00 PM
The other cool thing about ADO16 is that Todd offers "umbrella" style stem seals that work better than the O rings that come in a standard Mini head gasket set. While you're cruising his site, drop him a line and see if he has a set available for your car.

dklawson
04-23-2005, 10:41 PM
I have a set of his Viton seals on my intake valves. I bought a set of 8 so I should be good for quite a while! Todd's a great guy and a wealth of info both on A-series stuff and Porsche/VW stuff.