PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Piston Sets

RedTR3
08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
I am curious why Moss does not sell 83 mm piston sets (they only list complete piston/liner sets). Is it a quality issue or just possibly lack of a market for these? VB does list them in their catalog.

TomMull
08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
No idea really but my guess would be lack of market. Considering the work involved in changing pistons in these wet liner engines and the somewhat limited scenarios where new or bored liners would not be also advisable, lack of demand seems likely. When NOS sets come available, they seem to attract very few bids. New sets were available from Morse some time ago: 814000. They were also available from general aftermarket suppliers, (Hastings and Federal Mogul, for example) although I have not checked for some time.
Tom

DornTRoriginal
08-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I would agree there is a lack of interest, if your going to do the work of a "meticulous Assembly" why settle for something that is marginal and out dated? I got my piston set from British Frame and Engine have not had the pleasure of driving it yet but I can't wait!

RedTR3
08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
The machinist who is rebuilding my engine would prefer to bore the liners "in place" rather than removing/replacing them since the liners have been well-seated in the block for many years. Thus I am just assuming that I need to stay in the 83 mm range, maybe that is a poor assumption on my part. (have not reached that point in the rebuild yet).

TomMull
08-22-2013, 05:17 PM
The machinist who is rebuilding my engine would prefer to bore the liners "in place" rather than removing/replacing them since the liners have been well-seated in the block for many years.

I'd get a second opinion here, for sure. This may be possible but does not sound right to me. You need to remove the jugs to replace the figure 8 gaskets and rely not on age and scuz for a seal. Any boring enlarges the bore and you cannot go back to std without inserting sleeves, totally impractical here. The block needs a thorough cleaning too, particularly after machine work.
Tom

DornTRoriginal
08-23-2013, 12:30 AM
I AGREE, probably not going to bore just hone them maybe? I have a copper head gasket (83mm) if you want it let me know, I have no use for it.