PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Bikini top for TR3

TuffTR250
08-17-2013, 10:03 AM
My son and I are thinking of making a "bikini" top for our TR3 for driving on the days when the sun is really beating down here in North Carolina. Our thoughts would be to use an old TR2/3 top and cut it up to make into the bikini top. It seems best to try to utilize the existing soft top frame for support. We're thinking of ending the bikini top right at the back of the roll bar and cutting the sides up so there is no overhang down the sides. Does anyone have an old top that they would like to get rid of? I'd need the tenax connectors on the front but would not need windows nor the Lift-the-Dot connectors on the back, and it could be quite tatty. Please PM me if you have one. Thanks!
Regards,
Bob

Geo Hahn
08-17-2013, 03:20 PM
I have seen this done using some shade cloth (possibly from Home Depot). You would be using so little of the tfastenersop and only the simplest bits you may find it easier to work with whole cloth. You will still need the tenax fasteners.

Another alternative (if you do find a top) is to just cut out the rear window for max air flow + shade. I drove the TR4 like that for many years before I finally got a zip out rear window.

6TTR3A
08-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I made this one from Home Depot or Lowe's shade cloth. It comes in
different degrees of shade: I used the darkest. I used cloth-backed
vinyl for the front & back binding and rubberized cloth for the sides.
I was able to do the stitching on a regular home sewing machine.
If I had it to over I would make it wider so it would come a little
further down the sides.
Don't need to worry about a window; 100% visibility out the rear
through the cloth.
Frank

donbmw
08-17-2013, 05:59 PM
I will have to post picks of the one my wife made for mine. We have a zipper pocket that uses the rear bow for the rear attachment. Have two straps to pull it tight on the sides. We mad it out of vinyl. I will take pics and post.

Don

TuffTR250
08-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Frank, that's a neat looking design? I's thinking of just having the top part so the wind blows freely through, but your design would keep the sun off your back if the sun is behind you.
Regards,
Bob

TuffTR250
08-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks Don! I'm interested to see the picture of yours!
Regards,
Bob

Geo Hahn
08-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Frank's may be the one I was thinking of -- great design.

I'm going to wish I had one tomorrow -- it's our annual 100/100 drive. 100 miles in 100 heat. We hit the road at 1:30 pm and 100+ is a certainty.

donbmw
08-17-2013, 08:20 PM
I am out of town and I'll get pics in a couple days.

Don

donbmw
08-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Here are the pics of my top. It is like having a top but being all open.

don

CJD
08-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Bikini or Bimini?

6TTR3A
08-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Bimini is what the boat people call them...but mine's not on a boat so I picked another isle in the "triangle".
Frank

TuffTR250
08-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Don, yours is just what I had in mind. I was going to use my roll bar for the back, but I like the way you made the pocket for the rear soft top bar. It looks like yours is made out of a TR3 soft top, or the shape and seams are is similar to a TR3 soft top. How did you reinforce the front so the front would be firm and so the Tenax connectors would hold correctly? Also, did you use velcro on the back to make the pocket for wrapping around the rear soft top bar, and does that hold well while driving? Thanks!
Regards,
Bob

TuffTR250
08-19-2013, 11:49 AM
John, they sell something like this on web for Jeeps and they call them Bikini tops, so that is the reference we've been using.
Regards,
Bob

FullTwisting
08-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Here are the pics of my top. It is like having a top but being all open.

don

This is awesome. It's pretty much just how I pictured one for my dad's car. Thanks!

Bikini or Bimini?

I picked up "bikini" from Jeep folks. I suppose technically it might be Bimini, but ask a Jeep guy and he'll likely call it a bikini top, unless his Jeep gets away from him and winds up in the water. But really, for this thread what's the difference?

donbmw
08-19-2013, 12:31 PM
The wife double the layer for the front and we used a zipper to make the pocket. I would not use normal Velcro. I like the zipper better than Velcro. Looking at it an extra strap on each side to pull it back is all that is needed plus the side straps.

TuffTR250
08-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Don, I assume you used Tenax connectors for connecting the front to the windscreen, is that correct? Thanks!
Regards,
Bob

donbmw
08-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes they are the same the my top has.

TuffTR250
08-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Does anyone have an old tatty TR2/3 soft top they want to get rid of for a few dollars?
Regards,
Bob

TR6BobNF
08-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Nice tops guys and pretty innovative. Hey Don, how would yours look with a pice of Frank's fabric attached at the back for a more finished look and still with airflow and visibility. Not saying anything wrong with yours. Just an observation.
Cheers,

donbmw
08-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Personaly I like the open look.