PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 FUEL TANK VENT PIPE

machinemd
04-17-2005, 03:04 AM
I'VE GOT ANOTHER QUESTION FOR THE EXPERIENCED MINDS. I FOUND LAST YEAR THAT MY "NEW TO ME" 1974 TR6 FUEL TANK VENT PIPE JUST ENDED WHERE THE CHARCOAL CANISTER USED TO BE. WELL, I FOUND WHERE THE OCCASIONAL GAS FUMES WERE COMING FROM. NOW WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT? WHAT'S EVERYBODY ELSE DO WHEN THE EMISSION HARDWARE IS LONG GONE?

THANKS, STEVE

MDCanaday
04-17-2005, 12:49 PM
I would think another unit out of a more modern car in a salvage yard would suffice, they are all black plastic and similar in size and function.(pricy when new though)
MD(mad dog)

machinemd
04-18-2005, 03:24 AM
The only pollution parts left are this vent pipe and the EGR valve, and I don't even know if it's operable. I remember reading this issue on one of the lists a while back. One guy rerouted it to end near the bottom of the passenger rear quarter panel, away from the exhaust, and stuck either a fuel filter or pcv valve at the end of it. Another capped it at the tank and somehow drilled a small vent hole in the filler cap. Or can it be tied in to any of the many capped nipples that I have? Open to ideas!

Yellowdog
04-18-2005, 10:36 AM
The original routing had the tank vent going through the carbon canister which then tied into the emmission pipes from the valve cover to the carbs and everything was burned in the engine. This was to create a sealed system so the gas vapors did not vent to the atmosphere. Unlike the EGR valve, this did not create a hp loss, or, so I am told.

I assume the emmission pipes still run from the valve cover to the carbs. If not, how is the crankcase breathing (relieving the builtup internal pressures)?

The carbon canisters are still available new for around $100 and a used one that requires service can be had for about $50. Personally, I like the sealed system method as I know where the fuel tank is venting.