PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Issue with Rear Differnetial

Waterdawg
07-23-2013, 09:05 AM
I would like to say hello. I'm new to the forum but not new to TR's I have owned this TR6 since 1989 and restored it with my father that year. Any way fast forward 20 years. The car has been in storage for about 8 years any really has not moved. 2 years ago I towed it to my house and just started to get working on to make roo, for my next project.

So here is my issue. I took the rear tire off to work on the rear brakes and that were I think I noitced a problem I think. When I spin the drivers side rotor, the drive shaft turns but the passenger side does not. When I spin the passenger side it is tight for about 3/4 of a turn then it spins free, then tight again. It does not spin the drive shaft or the drives side rotor. Now I think if I were to turn the hubs, the other side should spin as well as the drive shaft.

I'm thinking I need to drop the rear diff.

Thanks.

CJD
07-23-2013, 09:28 AM
If you put the car in gear and spin a rotor, the other side should spin backwards.

If you have the tranny in neutral and spin a rotor, either the other side rotor should spin backwards OR the drive shaft should spin. The only way both with spin is if you have a limited slip dif.

The slight bind on the passenger side could just be the brake dragging, which sounds normal. The only thing you describe that sounds off is that nothing else turns when you are turning the right side rotor. If that is true, then your right side axle is broken...but, if that was the case, then when you spun the left side rotor chances are nothing would visibly turn. Are you sure you are getting no rotation elsewhere when you spin the right rotor?

Waterdawg
07-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I just went to the garage to check what you said. I start witht this. The rear drums are off so it not the brakes binding. I guess I should have added that in my orginal post.
So here is what I found. I put the car in gear. I turned the drivers side and the passenger side turned the opposite direction, this was was same when I turned the passenger side. The drives side spun the opposite direction. But it was tight. It almost feels as is something is binding then releaseing.

More testing. With the trans out of gear I spin the drivers side, and the passenger side moves just a little maybe a 1/2".

TR3driver
07-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Does sound like something is binding, then. My next step would be to repeat the experiment with the axles disconnected from the diff. That would eliminate a wheel bearing or U-joint issue.

Waterdawg
07-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Does sound like something is binding, then. My next step would be to repeat the experiment with the axles disconnected from the diff. That would eliminate a wheel bearing or U-joint issue.

Thank you for your reply. I will try to do that today.

Waterdawg
07-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Ok. Its a u-joint. I went and disconnected the passenger side axle and the diff spin great. I then noticed the u-joint on the axle would not move. So I pulled the axle nd will have to order a u-joint. Thanks for all your help everyone.