PDA

View Full Version : GT6 Triumph 6 cylinder side engine stand adapter

Hap Waldrop
07-17-2013, 09:07 AM
I have a GT6 engine to build, actually a a GT6 vintage race engine. Now I've long had side engine stand adapters for the MG A, and B series engines and even the Spitfire 4 cylinders, but I never made one for the the Triumph 6 cylinder, so I did last Saturday. I've been spoiled by side engine stand adapters because the let me mount the rear back engine plate, flywheel, and clutch while the engine is on the stand, and also face the rear, or front of the engine upward, making it easier to work on them. her's a pic of my new 6 cylinder side adapter.

dklawson
07-17-2013, 12:08 PM
I wish I had done that a couple of years ago. Life would have been better with a side mount.

DNK
07-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Personally I think Hap needs some work on his camera skills.
How about a couple of other views of it?

Hap Waldrop
07-18-2013, 07:53 AM
OK, here you go, more pics. 281772817828179

DNK
07-18-2013, 08:13 AM
:applause:

70herald
07-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Nice stand. I wish I had something like it when I built the heralds engine.

So what are you planing on doing to the engine. Don't tease us and tell us you are working on something interesting and then leave out the details :chuncky:

DNK
07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
HE talked about this a while ago and I chided him about the fact he usually don't touch 6 Cyl's.

Hap Waldrop
07-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Nice stand. I wish I had something like it when I built the heralds engine.

So what are you planing on doing to the engine. Don't tease us and tell us you are working on something interesting and then leave out the details :chuncky:

There's local guy, who is building a GT6 vintage race car, and came to me about building his engine. This is new, to me, type project, and one I would probably pass on with a customer half way across the country, but I envision Chuck (the customer) being right beside me in the racetrack paddock and if I'm going to be involved, I guess I should fully involved. :) It will be a neat build, he has the budget to do it right, so we'll have good parts to work with, good connecting rods probably Carillo, high ratio roller rocker arms, I'll do custom JE pistons, custom race cam, I'll do fully port head (that thing has a lot of ports :) ) trick oil pan aluminum flywheel and race clutch, 3 Webers, and he's got a trick header for it. Other local racers with years of experience will help with the roll cage, and metal fabrication, he already has the frame about done and it's super trick.

It ought to be a unique to me, and fun project, I'll try to show you guys what I'm up to as it unrolls. We start Saturday morning as Chuck and I disassemble the engine pictured on the stand, and see what we got, wish us luck, we're hoping for an unmolested lump :)

TR4nut
07-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Dang that is nice Hap- Wish I had that flexibility with the TR3/4 blocks but I can't think of good mounting points on those engines.

TR6BobNF
07-20-2013, 01:22 AM
OK, here you go, more pics. 281772817828179

Hap:
Pics are still not that great. Any chance you could mail me that side stand so I can get a better look at it. :encouragement:
Cheers,
Bob

DNK
07-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Nice try Bob- Get in line

Darrell_Walker
07-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Nice try Bob- Get in line

You getting another 6, Don?

LarryK
07-20-2013, 08:21 PM
When I rebuilt my MK3 GT6 I followed the factory race manual an then milled and ported the heads and manifolds. Came up with a dyno total of 223HP at wheels then had to restrengthen the drive line and ujoints. Got rid of rubber gaitors to ujoints. Now I would use CV joints and electronic ignition and possibly fuel injection. With todays technology I can only imagine the numbers. Would probably have to have special rods and forged crank and aluminum pistons and custom rockers.

Hap Waldrop
07-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Well, we disassembled the GT6 engine yesterday, we were hoping for unmolested and that's for the most part is what we found. Everything is standard, as for the crank and bores, looks like someone replaced the rod bearing at one point, they were glacier bi metals, and checked the mains, but left them in, they were still Vandervell VP2s. The cranks looks good, and is standard, but it will need to be ground to .010"/.010". Next step is degreasing and getting all cleaned, then on to ordering some parts and beginning the machining phase. Right now getting the race cam I want, and prepped to the level I want it, and getting the block line bored for cam bearings are tow big projects. I got to figure out what to do as for the piston I know they will be custom JE, I would prefer to us a flat top, if can get to 12.0 to 1, i have to go over the math to see if that can be done, for sure the GT6 head has smaller combustion chamber when compared to the 1500, or TR6, so maybe the flat top pistons will work.

The engine stand was extremely well centered with the head removed, and we could rotate the block quite easily, I lucked out there :)