PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Wanted: Bone Stock TR8

Radford
04-14-2005, 01:13 PM
This was posted to another list I'm on, though someone here with a TR8 might want a little fame.

To:
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 11:46 AM
Subject: seeking TR8

Dear Mr. Worsley,

As you may know, Hemmings Motor News this summer will introduce a new
magazine, Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car, written for enthusiasts of pre- and
post-war European and Japanese automobiles. The magazine will be truly
inclusive, much like its sister publications Hemmings Classic Car and Hemmings
Muscle Machines. To be sure, we'll be broad in our definition of sports and
exotic cars - if it's interesting, we want to write about it.

We would be grateful for your help. We're currently looking for a bone-stock
TR8. If you know of one that's original or has been restored to factory
original condition, and have not been featured in a U.S. magazine, and is
located in the Northeast, we'd love to consider it for full-bore, full-color
feature article.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Please feel free to reply to this address, or give me a call at 802-477-9548.

All the best,

Dave LaChance

Editor

Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car

222 Main Street

Bennington, Vermont 05201

KLUTZ
04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
What a great chance that would be. There is a Dr. and his wife who live a couple streets over from me with a gold TR8. Acording to the owner of "The Guild Automotive Restorers," here in Bradford, it was one of the last 5 made and it is stock. I spoke to him last year when he was going to appraise it. I have only seen her driving it about six or seven times in 9 years, never with the top down, but it is always in the driveway.
I don't think they are members of this forum though, but it would be a great oppertunity for them.

Paul

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

MGA Steve
04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We're currently looking for a bone-stock TR8. If you know of one that's original or has been restored to factory original condition, and have not been featured in a U.S. magazine, and is located in the Northeast, we'd love to consider it for full-bore, full-color feature article. Please feel free to reply to this address, or give me a call at 802-477-9548.

[/ QUOTE ]I have the above-mentioned car, but it is located in Colorado and I am not planning any trips to the Northeast in it this year.

In addition, my TR8 will be 25 years old in July and I am going to register it with classic plates. Then, no more emissions inspections! I can replace the intake and carbs, disconnect that dratted water choke, take off the air pump and one set of mufflers, and tune it to perform like a '63 Buick Skylark, instead of a choked-up Rover. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bob Buxbaum
04-14-2005, 08:50 PM
If you want some "input" on "upgrading" your TR8 you can e-mail me at snaponbob@comcast.net or call me in the pm at 816-246-4791. I bought a TR8 on e-bay a couple years ago and "leaned on it" a little, and boy is it FUN!! Given the crappy resale value of TR8's I figure it is worth the fun factor to "improve" the performance vs. keeping it stock.

MGA Steve
04-15-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Given the crappy resale value of TR8's I figure it is worth the fun factor to "improve" the performance vs. keeping it stock.

[/ QUOTE ]I was looking for a Tiger when I bought my TR8--the resale price of souped-up Tigers certainly isn't much lower than the stock ones. In fact, Tigers with the added LATA speed parts seem to sell for more than the "restored stock" variety. And 289/302 engines replacing the stock 260s doesn't seem to matter much either. Now if someone dropped a Chevy 350 in a Tiger, it would undoubtly hurt its value, but any small-block Ford seems to be acceptable to many Tiger owners.

By the way, the resale prices of TR8s seem to have been going up recently. With the new manufacturer emphasis on horsepower (400HP GTO, 300HP Mustang, Hemi Chrysler/Dodge, etc.), I think the V-8 may be back in favor (at least until regular gas gets to $4.00/gallon). After all, there's no replacement for displacement!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif