PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Only one carb "choked": What's the risk?

Bremer
07-08-2013, 10:38 PM
I have to temporarily run with the choke cable acting on the front carburetor choke only until I have sorted out the linkage to the rear carb. It appears that the engine will start and run just fine on only one choke.
However, I was wondering what the risks are of doing this. Will the lean mixture in the rear carb during warm-up cause any damage?
Comments welcome.
Thanks! :encouragement:

glemon
07-08-2013, 10:44 PM
If the rear carb is adjusted properly for regular running don't think it should do any damage, it is not too lean, just not enrichened for easier starting and idling when cold.

glemon
07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Just get it fixed before you take that long planned trip up through the Yukon to Alaska, you will need full choke to start up there:chuncky:

sammyb
07-08-2013, 11:36 PM
The choke's purpose is to get you started and running. Basically, there only risk is that the car won't start or run like a poorly tuned lawnmower. Some collector cars are best when their choke cables are disconnected, due to the issue of the choke linkages sticking on. If you're running lean at start-up, the cylinder will build up heat, which (if your carb is tuned correctly) will result in normal firing mixture...eventually.

Bremer
07-09-2013, 02:12 AM
Thanks, that is in line with what I thought.
It will be a while before I take the TR3 to Alaska, though!