PDA

View Full Version : Hood and Valence repair

69sprite
07-08-2013, 04:04 PM
I had an incident just before Father's Day last month and boo-booed my Sprite. On a fine cool-ish Texas morning, I decided I was going to take my car to a bi-weekly breakfast with some old friends.
Before taking off, I performed the standard 'pre-flight' checklist for fluids/tire pressure/etc. which all went well. I shut the hood, checked that the latches caught, and proceeded to drive to my destination. I got about 2 miles down the road and was traveling at about 40 mph when a gust of wind caught the front of the car. The wind caught the hood which then popped up, all the way up (the secondary didn't hold either), where the hood ended up against the windshield.

Good thing I was only going 40mph and on a road without anyone else on it. I was able to slow down and pull off to the side. Needless to say, I was upset. Upon inspection, I found that the hood hinge bracket mounting points had been pulled back/bent, the hood was tweaked, and the hood had created a very straight, but not very nice dent all along the valence, just in front of the windshield when it pushed back on the wipers and washer heads.

I have talked to a local restoration shop owner who says he should be able to pull the valence crease out and straighten the hood/hood hinge mounting points and get the car ready for a front end respray. Even though I am having experienced, professional friends do this work, I am wondering if I should be looking at getting another hood, instead of having this one repaired. It isn't terrible, but the question is, with the hinge mount points stretched/tweaked, are they now weakened.... and since the hood is 'tweaked' overall, can it be repaired to where it will align properly again?

Also, I have looked up the paint codes, but want to validate with the forum experts... My color is the 1969 version of Dark BRG... what s the 'real' code for this paint.

Thanks
Larry

Trevor Jessie
07-08-2013, 06:35 PM
If they can fix your bonnet, then I would stay with it. They will probably remove the hinge panel and straighten it separately then reattach it. Do you have any pictures?