PDA

View Full Version : 1500 mg midget fuel issue

jim79
07-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I have a 1979 mg midget with a weber carb ( with the water temp controlled choke) ,I have a electric fuel pump mounted beside the fuse panel under the bonnet. As far as the fuel tank, i installed a non vented fuel tank(because the original vented type wasnt available if I remember correctly).
My problem is that when Im in a parade or heavy traffic on a 80+ degree day, the car seems to have vapor lock. I find that there is no fuel before or after the carb when the car quits running. Is this because of my non vented tank, fuel pump mounted in engine bay, or anything else Im not thinking of? I'm hoping someone else has had experience with this,
and can send me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

07-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Tank must be vented. been there, done that and swapped EVERYTHING to no availe. Get a vented cap, MAKE SURE IT IS INDEED A VENTED CAP!!!Bought one from VB that was but wasn't, test to make sure. The pump would be better in the back by the tank.

jim79
07-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info, I will get a vented cap and relocate the pump. Any idea why it only seems to happen when it is hot outside? That is the part that has confused me the most. I can run 60 mph for 20-30 miles at a time and no issue, get it 80 degrees and above and it starts happening.
Jim