PDA

View Full Version : interior question

mightymidget
07-03-2013, 01:55 PM
going with non original interior. looking for a very thin flat material that moisture will not affect that upholstery can be glued.

Formica is perfect except I am concerned if contact adhesive will hold a cotton type product through the atmospheric conditions of a vehicle.
has anyone used Formica in this process before, or show I consider another product

taskadog
07-03-2013, 02:35 PM
The rough side of Formica is made to hold contact cement. Excess heat will be a concern with any glued on fabric, however mica would be as good as any.
Glue: Here's where it'll get tricky. Most of the spray can adhesive won't hold up to the heat well. I would try and find some older lacquer based glue, I don't have a lot of faith in the waterbase used today.
If you must spray glue, the higher the number, ie. 90 is best.

Jim_Gruber
07-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Someone proposed using plastic material that those stand up cheap vinyl signs use. Typically corrougated for strength. Not sure about glue.

David_Doan
07-03-2013, 05:20 PM
I used Weldwood Contact Cement that comes in quarts or gallons. I glued all my carpet and interior panels and used most of a gallon. For my interior panels I just used masonite, but coated the back side with glue as well to waterproof it. When I researched what glue to use, it seemed that the 3M Super77 or equivalent was good, but the Welwood was longer lasting. I had very good luck with it, and mine has survived 2 Texas summers.

The Weldwood is solvent based and in my case it softened the carpet backing. This was a blessing and a curse. The softening made it easier to conform it to irregular surfaces, but you could not pull the carpet up to reposition.

A couple links from my blog while doing the interior.

https://doanfamily.net/blog/2011/10/09/finished-carpet/
https://doanfamily.net/blog/2011/10/16/interior-almost-done/

Formica would probably be a good choice, just harder to work with than masonite. It might be brittle and crack if screw holes are near the edge.

07-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I used the 3M heavy duty head liner adhesive. I don't remeber the pt number but it ROCKS. It's been I don;t know how many years but my carpet still is stuck good.

BillW103
07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I do custom picture framing and changed out the Plexiglas in several pieces and used the old stuff for my interior panels. I sprayed them and wished I would have brushed on the glue. Itís cheaper and easer to control. It makes it easy to line up the screw holes.

nomad
07-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Someone proposed using plastic material that those stand up cheap vinyl signs use. Typically corrougated for strength. Not sure about glue.

This is just the stuff I would like to try for backing panel's. Anyone know of a source or do I just cannibalize advertising sign's??

Kurt.

David_Doan
07-03-2013, 11:48 PM
buy for-sale signs at Lowe's or Home Depot

JPSmit
07-04-2013, 08:47 AM
buy for-sale signs at Lowe's or Home Depot

Or go find a sign shop and ask to look in their dumpster or, if you neighbourhood is like mine - wait till Sunday eve and go find left over realtor signs

Rut
07-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Go pull up all the political signs you can find! Not only solves your problem, but gets rid of a major issue...
Rut

nomad
07-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks guy's. The candidate's are supposed to remove their signs but I've noticed that like so many things now days, no one is holding them to it.
I think that laminated sign material would work fine and last a long time. I know that in nature it doesn't seem to go away!

Kurt.

mightymidget
07-04-2013, 02:44 PM
thanks for responding, I feel confident usinf the Formica now