PDA

View Full Version : Tail pipe chrome attachement to look nicey nice??

Blackjokr
07-01-2013, 05:43 PM
The tailpipe on the 79 Midget looks so weak and frail and small. Any ideas where I might get a nice atatchement to go over the pipe ot dress her up? My pipe looks like a straw compared to modern cars!

07-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Harley muffler: the answer to all Sprodget exhaust questions.

JPSmit
07-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Harley muffler: the answer to all Sprodget exhaust questions.

and Spridget questions too. While I have a Harley muffler, Monza exhausts look and sound nice too.

Blackjokr
07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
nice....! thank you again!

JPSmit
07-03-2013, 10:55 AM
nice....! thank you again!

BTW you can search the website for another extensive discussion, but, we are talking about take offs from the bin at a Harley store - should cost you nothing or next to it

Jer
07-05-2013, 02:25 PM
is there a specific "Harley" muffler that fits ? does anyone have a part # or year range/model that fits ? The muffler on my 74 is an aftermarket Stebro that DPO put on, the dia. is way to big, very, very minimal clearance between springs & gas tank, I want to get that replaced...

Jim_Gruber
07-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Just search for Harley Muffler on this site. The bullet shaped one is the one you want. A couple of adapters tack welded together to get you t o1.75" pipe and you are good to go.28009

Jim_Gruber
07-06-2013, 09:30 AM

A coupe more pics. Kelly has posted lots of info on taking these apart and doing some additional work on the baffles but I used mine as received for free from the local Harley Shop out of their too nice to throw away take offs bin. Wander back to the service desk and ask if they've got any take offs in their trash pile. You may get lucky.

bug_sixty
07-06-2013, 02:32 PM
FYI... how's the clearance for steep driveways etc.?

Jim_Gruber
07-07-2013, 10:27 AM
The front pipe where it comes down from the manifold would always hit first.

jjscott
07-07-2013, 08:20 PM
What is the diameter of the inlet on the Harley muffler?

Jim

Jim_Gruber
07-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Someone else may correct me but I believe 2". I needed 2 pipe adapters to get from 1.75" to the Harley input size. Tack weld them in place as I discovered real quick that clamps would not hold them. No torch / MIG yourself, a trip to local Muffler shop and $20 ought to get you taken care of.

jjscott
07-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks, Jim. Jim

07-11-2013, 02:18 PM
You don't need an adapter if you have a stock pipe. Cut the flange off, jam it on and weld it. It fits perfectly that way.

Pythias
07-12-2013, 08:59 AM
IIRC the Harley muffler I had (a Harley "Shorty") was 1.5" on one end and 1.75 on the other. Perfect fit, correct direction, no adapter, slide on, tack in place.

Jim_Gruber
07-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Well the one I had needed a couple of adapters to make right. the adapters also moved the end of the pipe out by about 2" to exactly where it needed to be. Again Muffler was a freebie takeoff with a little dent that did not show on Bugsy I. A strap hanger and bolt to fit in the mounting slide and I was good to go. Adapters are no big deal if needed just tack weld them on. Muffler clamps were not enough as my pipe did not have the transmission brace / clamp on it so only attachment point was the donut to the header and the mount at the rear. Worked fine for 5-6 years.

07-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Adapters are no big deal if needed just tack weld them on. . I don't like 'em for a few reasons. 1.) reduces velocity with stock size pipe: Stock on the 1500 is 1 1/2" IIRC, you go from small, to bigger with adapter, then back down to small again inside the muffler. The inside of the muffler is the next step up from the stock pipe, hence you don't need an adapter and you're killing velocity right when you need it, before a restriction. 2.) They cost money: I can't see a good reason to use them since in is already built into the muffler, you just have to cut the factory muffler flange off. 3) Not exactly clean looking. With the 1 1/2" pipe you have to use two adapters, things can look bad like that. Now I hear what Jim is saying about using them will move it to where it needs to be. I did the same thing with the factory exhaust tip from my old muffler. I cut the straight part off and used it as an extension. I coupled it to the factory pipe with an exhaust coupler for a total cost of about $4. With clamps and everything for adapters I think it came to about $20-25, which is crazy when you think about it. Mine may very well be the exception as my factory sized stuff was still in good shape. Did I ever post a pic?

Jim_Gruber
07-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Kelly, back when I did this I was on the cutting edge of using a Harley Muffler. Many others have gone that way since and there are better ways of doing things and more knowledge available. My brain figured out the simplest way to get from Point A to Point B and that included the simplest ways to get the muffler to mate with the stock pipe. So the quesiton becomes, has he found Muffler yet? Post a pic and we can give advice. If not, Saturday Morning at the local Harley Shop. Bring some donuts and find a "freebie".

07-13-2013, 04:35 PM
My brain figured out the simplest way to get from Point A to Point B and that included the simplest ways to get the muffler to mate with the stock pipe. ". Don't get me wrong, I'm with ya 100% and you are completely correct. That 's is the simplest way. It just I can't personally justify spending $25 to mount a free muffler when there's a perfectly good die grinder and welding machine handy. :wink:

Jim_Gruber
07-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Kelly, one day after first assembling with muffler clamps it came apart while driving. My mig got to work shortly thereafter and I had a permanent solution with several tacks. For those on this list who don't own a welder that's where the $25 solution came from.

07-14-2013, 09:24 PM
I have two clamps on mine only if I need to remove it for some reason in the future. I could have gotten away with one, but whichever end I clamp almost always seems to need to be cut off.

BillW103
07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
I installed an after market Harley muffler on my Bugeye this week. It is a little louder than I would like but sounds good. The best part is the 1275 loves it. There was a noticeable upgrade in performance. The muffler was 1 ¾” inlet and 3 ½” out. I reduced the out let to 1 ¾”. This is a worth while upgrade. I used the chrome Harley clamp to attach it.

Jim_Gruber
07-24-2013, 04:09 PM
That's not the Bullet shaped one then but also works. I tried one like that but with baffles punched out made Bugsy sound like a Rice Rocket. See pics earlier in this post of the the one Kelly and I have been using.

07-24-2013, 05:48 PM
I installed an after market Harley muffler on my Bugeye this week. It is a little louder than I would like but sounds good.. The operative word in this sentence is aftermarket.

07-24-2013, 05:49 PM
That's not the Bullet shaped one then but also works. I tried one like that but with baffles punched out made Bugsy sound like a Rice Rocket.. Center plug knocked out or baffle assembly completely removed?

BillW103
07-24-2013, 08:17 PM
282642826528266I didn’t touch the baffle. I put it on just the way I got it. It didn’t have a name on it. Came of a Road King. I have nothing to compare it to not having ever heard a 1275 with a Harley muffler.

Jim_Gruber
07-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Baffle Tip adds a bit of sportiness.

Jer
08-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Today at lunch I'm going to a local "Harley guy" shop as my coworker rides a Harley knows this guy & I should be able to get a stock one there... last night after work I was driving past another bike shop & decided to stop in just to research "option B"... the guy had a perfect option, 3" diameter, total 22" long (18" of that actual muffler), 1.75" inlet... one catch - it was a Screamin Eagle :-), the devil in me jumped up & gave the guy 50 bucks, took less than a 1/2 hour to install - needed one 1.75" muffler clamp, one 1.5" muffler clamp, one 1.5 ID -1.75 OD adapter, 1/4 x 3/4" bolt with flat & lock washer & one standard exhaust hanger, put 1.75 OD end of adapter into the ID of muffler inlet, then slipped onto OD of existing pipe, bent hanger to mount to original bolt location on trunk floor & drilled hole thru other end of hanger mount to bolt up to original Harley mount location with 1/4" bolt (I want to improve this cosmetically in the future, but it is a solid mount) - It sounds great to me, the wife even approves (its for her car) however I want to see what a stock one sounds like, so hopefully I can find the same dimensions but stock, then I can decide which is better. I will post pictures & hopefully sound later :-)

Jim_Gruber
08-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Jer,

Once you decide on which muffler you want, sounds best, you'll need to tack weld those adapters together. They will come apart fairly quickly no matter how tight you try to make them. Get it set up right and aligned properly. Two minutes of tack welding and you are good to go for a long, long time.