PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A problem with pulley on new water pump

Mike62TR3
06-29-2013, 07:52 PM
I am replacing the water pump on my 62 TR3A. I ordered the upgraded water pump from Moss, part number 835-071. Problem is when I put my current pulley onthe new water pump it rubs against the pump housing before I bolt it down tightand if I tighten it, it will also bind on the studs. Definitely not going to turn. Will ofcourse call Moss Motor Monday but I was wondering if anyone else has run into aproblem with replacement water pumps not working as expected. Mike E. 62 TR 3A.

TR3driver
06-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Yup, it's common for the aftermarket pumps to not fit quite right. The problem with the pulley rubbing on the casting can usually be solved by grinding away a bit of the casting mark on the casting.
However, the pulley rubbing on the studs sounds more serious, since it also means the pulley is too far to the rear. Although it would work, the belt will wear faster if the pulleys aren't lined up. There were also some early versions of the "improved" pump where the shaft could move in the bearings and cause the seal to not hold water. I'd wait for Monday before doing anything else, as they may not take it back if you have been grinding on the casting.

As a side comment, it is important that the pulley is a very tight fit on the shaft. If you can just slide it into place, it will eventually work loose and tear things up. I've used Loctite "retaining compound" (aka "Circular parts mount") with some success, but of course it will make it harder to disassemble next time.

Mike62TR3
07-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Update. Talked to Moss Motors, it is my understanding that when they took a new upgraded water pump and a new pulley from their shelf and mated them, they got the same rubbing and binding. so there is a problem in the design specs somewhere. I will look at grinding mine water pump this weekend. Mike E. 62 TR3A

Geo Hahn
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
...they got the same rubbing and binding. so there is a problem in the design specs somewhere...

And that problem has been there for at least 30 years that I know of. Sounds like the body of their upgraded pump may have been modeled off an aftermarket pump.

This is the first thing I do with a replacement pump and, of course, the spare pump I carry on long road trips has already been ground down and a pulley fitted to confirm it is ready to go (a grinder is one tool I do not carry in my boot).

Mike62TR3
07-08-2013, 09:46 AM
And that problem has been there for at least 30 years that I know of. Sounds like the body of their upgraded pump may have been modeled off an aftermarket pump.

This is the first thing I do with a replacement pump and, of course, the spare pump I carry on long road trips has already been ground down and a pulley fitted to confirm it is ready to go (a grinder is one tool I do not carry in my boot).

well just as a matter of update, thanks for replies. it took a little grinding on the water pump and it seems to spin great. so we will see. Mike E 62 TR3A