PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Mounting Front Fenders

Anglofile
06-28-2013, 06:07 PM
My son & I are restoring a 1960 TR3. When we took off the front fenders there was the remnant of what appeared to be a 'gasket" between the outer fender and inner fender along where you bolt them together. I have looked through Moss and the Roadster Factory and can't find anything. Is this "buffer" between the fenders necessary, and if so, what can I use as a substitute?

Thanks

yellowtr3
06-28-2013, 06:59 PM
My son & I are restoring a 1960 TR3. When we took off the front fenders there was the remnant of what appeared to be a 'gasket" between the outer fender and inner fender along where you bolt them together. I have looked through Moss and the Roadster Factory and can't find anything. Is this "buffer" between the fenders necessary, and if so, what can I use as a substitute?

Thanks

i did not use anything in my assembly and its been fine for 4 years now.

if you do wish to use a tape try this:

https://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?Productid=12456&GroupID=19980&History=30587:19747:19758:19954&ModelID=19980

Frank
58 TR3

Marvin Gruber
06-29-2013, 01:18 PM
I've built at least a dozen TR3's and have never used any type of gasket or anything inbetween the fenders.

Marv

charleyf
06-29-2013, 01:33 PM

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge there was NEVER a gasket or buffer between the fenders front or back. I am sure that a number of restorers have sprayed a liberal amount of underseal into the crack after the pieces were bolted together. The only problem with that is that water can get in from the top as easliy as it gets sprayed by the wheel from the bottom. But I have also seen where water spray from the wheel has come up through the joint between the fenders and exited onto the outside of the car. So in that case I would say some underseal would be called for. The best idea is to make sure that all of the surfaces have been well painted prior to putting the pieces together. Then use underseal over the finished joint if you wish.
Charley :encouragement:

luke44
06-29-2013, 07:47 PM
No gasket along the top but a seal at the back...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6751581179_a842dec13a_b.jpg

Don Elliott
06-29-2013, 07:56 PM
The factory used "Dum-Dum" a black tar like gummy sealant between all the fenders and the main tub on all the sidescreen TRs. It's very difficult to remove a fender with that stuff still there - if the car has never ever been restored. I bought my TR brand new and when I did mine from 1987 to 1990, I painted all the parts "off the car" and assembled the fenders etc. with no sealer in these joints whatsoever. I have never had any rust develop in 23 summers of quite dry weather since 1990 during the 110,000 miles that I have driven and enjoyed my 1958 TR3A.