View Full Version : TR2/3/3A tr3 bulkhead holy question

06-26-2013, 07:19 PM
So I'm about to pull the tub off and paint when I begin to feel like something is amiss with the mounting holes. I'm pretty sure the fuse box goes where I have it located, and the two larger holes are for wiring. Mind you, no holes have been added or deleted (by me) and the tub was blasted to bare metal before priming, so none are hiding under the primer. The hole with the red circle has a captive nut behind it 1/4-28. The holes with purple circles have little metal thingys inserted so they will take a sheet metal screw. The green circled holes are for the VIN tag. I assumed the yellow circled hole is for the blinker. I have no idea what the black circled holes are for, though a few could be for brake line clamps. But the real issue I have is, why do I not have two holes in alignment for the voltage regulator? A 1/4-28 bolt is too big to pass through a regulator hole. This car is a pre-60k sloped rear deck, no raised plinths but also no blanking plate. I'm not sure what holes I should fill before painting but think the voltage regulator needs another hole -it looks best mounted with the screws horizontal from the upper purple hole which makes the captive nut hole useless. Could there be another regulator that is not mounted with two parallel screws?


06-26-2013, 08:38 PM
This may help. I don't think any are extra from stock...

https://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j377/cjdurant/_DSC7369.jpg (https://s1082.photobucket.com/user/cjdurant/media/_DSC7369.jpg.html)

Oh yeah...the two on the lower left are for the build plate...

06-26-2013, 09:07 PM

by chance do you know if your car came into the West Coast - the two black holes to the right of where the commission plate goes look suspiciously like were they would mount the STC year plate.


06-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Tough one. What s/n are you working on? I've checked my photos of the later cars without blanking plates and I can't find any with those 2 black holes, so I can't help you. I do have a few pix of cars I've grabbed over the years. No guarantee any of them are right though.




And then finally there is TerriAnn's website with this reference point:

Enlarged version here: https://www.tr3a.info/Bulkhead.htm

Good luck with it.

06-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks all, esp Randy and Frank. It appears the grey lady is fitted as mine (without the lucar connectors) the regulator is horizontal as in my picture, but farther towards the battery box. The uppermost series of holes needs fitted with one of those metal snap-thingys that accept a screw. Then the captive nut will accept the flasher. All I need to do is fill the other 7 little holes.

06-27-2013, 01:59 AM

by chance do you know if your car came into the West Coast - the two black holes to the right of where the commission plate goes look suspiciously like were they would mount the STC year plate.

Those STC plates were mounted by dealers that sold the cars and are located most any where on the firewall. They were mounted with two small screws and the holes were punched ( not drilled) into the metal for the screws. I understood ( but I could be very wrong about this) those plates were used only for cars sold in California. But then I had never heard that the STC stood for Standard Triumph Company. I had assumed that they stood for State of California. There were several articles on these plates in the VTR magazine about six or so years ago. It was my understanding that one or both of two things caused them to be put on the cars. One was that the cars were being held over from previous years and the State wanted a better listing of the year the car was sold new. So the dealers would have to put a tag on them to show the year that the car was sold. The other thing was that the State of Calif. decided that the commission numbers were not long enough and wanted a longer ID number. So many ( but not all) of those cars with the extra tags had the STC60( or what ever year) added onto the vehicle ID number on the title. I have one such car a TR4. Truthfully if the numbers were not on the title, I would prefer to leave the dumb plates off the car.
Charley :encouragement:

06-27-2013, 09:47 AM
My 66 TRA4 was originally sold in California, and has an STC-66 plate. The VIN on the registration was "66CTC.....". When I moved to Washington and registered it here, they removed the "66".

06-27-2013, 09:50 AM
I have one of those extra tags on my TR3A, it is bright orange. My car is a 1960. I was going to put it back on the car when I get to that point, but it may clash with my car color!


06-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Just wondering.... What is that box below the regulator in CJD's photo and luke44's (red) photo?

Here is my setup. The item on the left, as you can tell, is a cut-off switch connection.

06-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Ed, that "box" is just the fuse box, with a cover.

Your TR3 is a little older than mine, but very close. You have the blanking plate, so the flasher attaches to a bolt that also attaches the blanking plate. The regulator changed orientation when they went to lucar connectors from screw terminals, as can easily be seen in the different pictures.

06-27-2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I like the look of the fuse box with a cover. Wish mine were the same. But I don't think I'll upgrade. I also like the lucar connectors -- much neater and easier on the wires.

My car, indeed, must be an earlier one because I keep finding that I have features that were soon replaced on the TR3.

Again, many thanks...

Geo Hahn
06-27-2013, 07:55 PM
As if you don't have enough pics already, here's mine:


And also a shot I took of a TR3A that I think is original:


06-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Cool Geo!

Always a spare plug on hand!

06-27-2013, 09:28 PM
It occurred to me what you were really wanting to see was an STC tag. Here's the only one I've seen. Should have posted it earlier. Owner swears its in the original position.