PDA

View Full Version : Horn advice..

Blackjokr
06-20-2013, 01:11 AM
these look like they would work on my 79 midget.. The compatibility checker says no, but they darn sure as heck look almost like my originals. Any input here?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/151042979792?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

dklawson
06-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Compatibility?

I don't see why they would not work. The pictures show two spade terminals. If the harness in your car does not already support two-wire horns, all that will be required will be to run ground wires from one of those spade terminals to ground and connect your existing wire to the remaining terminal.

JPSmit
06-20-2013, 08:19 AM
they will work (or send them to me) :)

06-21-2013, 11:58 AM
What's wrong with yours?

Blackjokr
06-23-2013, 08:20 AM
thatnks guys,that's what i thoguht but although the listing says it is for Midget, the compatibility chart says incompatible. I think that was a mistake. ! Mine have not worked in about 10 years I'm guessing. I got ONE of them to give me a faint "blllleeeeeppp" when i hooked it to the battery. Between the paint overspray the guy did and the rust inside I found when I opened it up probably rendered them pretty useless. new ones aren't bad..I can live with that..ME LIKE SHINY!! :)

JPSmit
06-23-2013, 08:50 AM
BTW i replaced mine with cheapies and while theynwork fine, I am going to replace them again. Not loud enough. Get max db for a little car.

Bayless
06-23-2013, 10:23 AM
:iagree: I saved the air horn from my old Fiat for the Prefect. Really gets their attention.

dklawson
06-23-2013, 10:35 AM
On a parallel note (pun intended) has anyone here installed one of the Wolo "Bad Boy" mini air horns on either an LBC or another car? I loath the anemic "meep-meep" horn on my daily driver and was thinking of installing a louder and more commanding horn on it.

David_Doan
06-23-2013, 10:41 AM
TexasSprite showed me a cool one on his car, very loud but did not sound like a truck either. He said it was not expensive. maybe he will chime in.

BillW103
06-23-2013, 10:58 AM
My car had two big horns on the finder wells that I didnít plan on putting back on because they were really ugly. This horn is readily available and I managed to mount it in the stock location. I had to face the horn to the back. Itís loud enough in any direction.
https://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa396/williame103/Close%20ups/20c90cf8-b072-400d-96c5-efea67232b96_zpscde93a91.jpg

Blackjokr
06-23-2013, 02:08 PM
I laughed at the "meep-meep" comment. It's very true. Maybe I should have opted for an air horn! Imaggine driving a midget and sounding out an 18 wheeler horn?? Nice!

dklawson
06-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Bill M, the picture link you posted shows the same type of horn I was asking about. Thanks for the nod.

06-23-2013, 05:20 PM
I laughed at the "meep-meep" comment. It's very true. Maybe I should have opted for an air horn! Imaggine driving a midget and sounding out an 18 wheeler horn?? Nice!

I actually have one of those but no where to mount the tank. Frieght train horn is what I want....

I'm gonna have to look into mounting it on the car. I've got the air suspension pump from the Lincoln and maybe I can use a little propane bottle for the tank.... Hmmmm... :devilgrin:

aeronca65t
06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
I like ~This Horn~ (https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-Model-419-Bad-Horn/dp/B000F5DQWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372110056&sr=8-1&keywords=car+horn).

I don't have one, but I've heard them and I've been considering getting one for my MGB.

Compressor is built in so simple installation and price ($30) isn't bad.

dklawson
06-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Nial, that again is the horn I was asking about. How would you describe the sound?

I have it in my Amazon shopping cart and will probably go ahead and buy it when I place my next order. Amazon does appear to have the lowest price on it.

aeronca65t
06-24-2013, 10:15 PM
It's decent loud but not ear-splitting. Much better than a stock Midget or Mini horn. Sounds basically like a regular air horn.

Blackjokr
06-27-2013, 01:56 AM
Hey guys..thanks to you all! I got my new door panels and when i went to throw out thebox noticed it was not quite empty. i foun dmy new horns in there! I didn't realize they came from the same ebay seller. Hooked them up an din 5 minutes got the rootin' tootin' honk of a hi and low horn loud enough to scare an old lady off the road! All is well! Replacing that fue box with a new one and cleaning hte connectors is really working out! best $17 i ever spent! I think I am going to order the door clips from this place: https://www.northwestimportparts.com Anyone ever deal with them before? prices seem competitive and they claim their shipping is reasonable. I just want to get the door panels on, the new windo crank on, order the new door rests and handles and be doen with that! then I can finish the last of the electrical stuff. Might need a new wiper motor and washer fluid motor *sigh*. but she is so close to driving its awesome. I do love opening the trunk and seeing th elight go on now. And removing the crappy speakers from the back of the car and putting one crappy speaker in the speaker grill on the console and listening ot that old '79 original am/fm radio play is golden!!

dklawson
06-27-2013, 07:42 AM
They don't sell a lot of parts that fit the cars I own but I have bought from their sales fliers before. They have been in business for many years now and I don't think you will be disappointed with them.

David_Doan
06-27-2013, 07:34 PM
I like ~This Horn~ (https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-Model-419-Bad-Horn/dp/B000F5DQWY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372110056&sr=8-1&keywords=car+horn).

I don't have one, but I've heard them and I've been considering getting one for my MGB.

Compressor is built in so simple installation and price ($30) isn't bad.

Mike (TexasSprite), is the linked horn the same as yours?

TexasSprite
06-28-2013, 08:28 PM
The horn on my car is a Stebel Nautilus airhorn. Try Twisted Throttle or Amazon online. Easy to install. Mine even came with a relay (The thing draws enough amps that you can't run it off the original wiring). Very satisfactory loudness!

Blackjokr
06-28-2013, 10:26 PM
hai got my 11 year old stepson good yesterday. He's a joker. I installed the new horns and they are LOUD..i mean REALLY LOUD. SO I had him stand at the front of the car and bend forward to "look at the engine and see if it moves when i turn it on.."...and yes you guessed it I punched the horn and he jumped 6 feet in the air. we both just cracked up...that was worth $37 and 30 minutes of labor!

Blackjokr
06-28-2013, 10:53 PM
hai got my 11 year old stepson good yesterday. He's a joker. I installed the new horns and they are LOUD..i mean REALLY LOUD. SO I had him stand at the front of the car and bend forward to "look at the engine and see if it moves when i turn it on.."...and yes you guessed it I punched the horn and he jumped 6 feet in the air. we both just cracked up...that was worth $37 and 30 minutes of labor!

06-28-2013, 11:27 PM
hai got my 11 year old stepson good yesterday. He's a joker. I installed the new horns and they are LOUD..i mean REALLY LOUD. SO I had him stand at the front of the car and bend forward to "look at the engine and see if it moves when i turn it on.."...and yes you guessed it I punched the horn and he jumped 6 feet in the air

I have severe hearing problems and loud noises feel like someone is shoving an ice pick in both ears (not kidding). My b-i-l did that to me about 9 years ago. I reminded him of my problem...and he did it again. It took everything I had to keep from pulling him through the window. Careful who y'all do that to cause for some folks it isn't the least bit funny.

Blackjokr
07-03-2013, 09:07 AM
ouch KG...sound like your bil is a real jerk!

07-03-2013, 09:14 AM
ouch KG...sound like your bil is a real jerk!

That aint nuthin', aughta meet my dad. :laugh:

Blackjokr
07-04-2013, 09:43 AM
lol..classic!