PDA

View Full Version : Temp sensor

Rut
06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm installing a temp sensor in my BE radiator for my electric fan and want to know if I should use the adapter that fits there and in the head? The sensor is a good fit in the radiator, as good as the adapter.
Rut

BlueMax
06-11-2013, 08:31 PM
The head should be used for the gauge, your radiator should be used for the cooling fan. Reason is, you want to know the head temps because the dead temps are the most crucial.

Rut
06-11-2013, 10:48 PM
BlueMax,
exactly what I was thinking, but can you use the sensor without the adapter?
Thanks, Rut

Billm
06-11-2013, 11:00 PM
If the sensor is about 1/4" (or more) shorter than the temp gauge bulb then you should be OK, otherwise you need the adapter (in the head).
You don't need an adapter for the radiator at all.
BillM

Rut
06-12-2013, 08:21 AM
BillM,
Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I've decided to place the temp sensor for the gauge in the head and the fan sensor in the radiator. I thought about placing the fan sensor lower in the radiator, but for my application I don't think it's necessary.
Rut

nomad
06-12-2013, 11:52 AM
The an sensor high up in the radiator will work fine as long as you never let the coolant level to get low. Better in the bottom hose if you can find a way to do that.
Learned the hard way!

Kurt.

Gundy
06-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Where are you guys putting that sensor in the head?

Trevor Jessie
06-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Right below the t-stat on the spark plug side.

nomad
06-13-2013, 01:24 AM
What are you folks using for a fan temp sensor? I've been using the off the shelf parts store switch gear that uses a sensor you are supposed to locate in the fin's of the radiator. I don't trust it and with good reason. It seems to vary quite a bit in the temp the fan comes on at. I would like to go to a probe that is in the coolant in the bottom hose like I had on a Datsun car.

Kurt.

bug_sixty
06-13-2013, 02:51 AM
Mine's in the coolant upper hose with a variable toggle to adjust the temp. on/off setting...The fan is always "hot" (electrical)..... on a hot day the fan continues for about 10 min. after engine shutdown....until the coolant cools... Rids the bay of heat and potential for vapor lock... Bought it in the JC Whitney catalog years ago...