PDA

View Full Version : My car stranded me for the first time.

SilentUnicorn
05-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Yesterday I caught up on some maintenance on my Midget. Fixed the speedo, changed the front springs, and took a couple of leaves out of the right rear. Still trying to lessen the drivers side lean... anyway.. After I was done i took it for a test drive, handling was improved, less bump steer. then the engine quit while at speed. Great. I have gas in the filter, and it is cranking well. There were no funny noises prior to the engine stopping. Popped the cap off to find my rotor in several pieces. I did not have a spare with me. Had to call a friend to bring his truck and a chain. When he got there we took a ride back to my shop where I found a spare rotor, went back and popped it on and all was well.

Think I will start carrying a spare with me...

m

bug_sixty
05-21-2013, 06:53 PM
check the cap for cracks too Something's highly amiss...and probably NOT solved

SilentUnicorn
05-21-2013, 07:16 PM
check the cap for cracks too Something's highly amiss...and probably NOT solved

Seems to be running fine again. I do recall a problem with poorly produced rotors in the past, this might have been one. The replacement I had is a much beefier, better built rotor than the one the destroyed it self. I have ordered two caps and rotors, one for spare and one for replacement. Still need to rebuild my trust again in the car, and that is what sux. The failure was due to poor quality, not poor wrenchin.

m

05-21-2013, 08:22 PM
When I had my Baja bug I carried a complete spare iginition system with me at all times. This was durring the time I went out a lot at night. I just KNEW someone was going to be a clown and steal stuff off of my engine. Me and a chick hopped in one night and sure enough, running on two cylinders. I got out and two plug wires were gone. reached under the rear deck (no back seat) and grabbed two wires and off we went...

nomad
05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Jeff's "Advance Distributors" red rotor's are the only one's that are any good, IMHO.

Kurt.

Rut
05-21-2013, 10:53 PM
X2 Kurt.

Pythias
05-23-2013, 03:37 AM
I'll bet the left front is high since the right rear is low.... you can do anything you want including changing the springs from right to left in the rear and not fix the sag. .. If you want to fix the sag at the rear, put spacers under the spring pans on the opposite side front.

StarkM
05-23-2013, 09:21 AM
I prefer the red rotors as well.