PDA

View Full Version : My little 68' Sprite

Slick Willy
05-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Hello all. I just wanted to post a few pics of our 68 sprite. My wife and I are now the proud owners, it was past to us from an Uncle who bought it new. I am new to british cars. So far I have redone the brake system and installed a new fuel tank. The car runs great but does need some work. The top is shot. The original steering wheel broke and had to be replaced, sad I really like the way it looked. The heater core is busted and by passed. It is a blast to drive and we have fell in love with it.2730727308273092731027311

Slick Willy
05-18-2013, 05:13 PM
While out for a drive not to long ago, we got offered a hard top for $200. I'm not sure if it would fit or be worth it as it needs new window seals. I'm sorry for the poor photos as I had to use my phone. The pics in the above post are from awhile back when my Uncle still had the car.273122731327313

bug_sixty
05-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Wow lucky you! look at those seat..

Slick Willy
05-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks bug_sixty. Are the seats ok? Is something not right?

05-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks bug_sixty. Are the seats ok? Is something not right?

Yes, something is highly irregular, they're in great shape. :grin:

So, you got a free one-owner car, you know the entire life history on it and it has seats with no damage. That isn't fair. Anyone live close to him that has a sharp knife? :jester:

That's awesome Willy!

nomad
05-19-2013, 01:14 AM
I don't think you can go wrong on the hardtop for $200 either. Side windows are plexi and the seal's are available. Depends though on whether you are hard top folk's...they're not really a necessity.

Kurt.

Slick Willy
05-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info Kellysguy and nomad. The top is on a MG, it kinda looks like our Sprite but has a 3 wiper setup and has been beat to death. The top has no cracks just the window seals are shot. Do you think it would fit my car? Where would I find window seals? Any pointers would be great and thanks for the help.

05-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Depends though on whether you are hard top folk's...they're not really a necessity.

Kurt.

I use mine for winter storage or when I have to park it under the pole shed. I'd try for around $100 using lack of windows and seals as a reason.

Slick Willy
05-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks kellysguy. The top has all the glass just needs seals. Do they still make seals for this type? If so, who? I have not found any sources yet, but I dont have much to pick from here in eastren Kentucky. I tried a search and have came up empty handed. The man also has a spare 1275 which I hope to get. I will try and talk him down. The top needs to be refinished but is crack free and clean on the inside. My soft top is full of holes and rips. I would like to have the hard top for trips and winter storage.

05-19-2013, 01:04 PM
No idea on the seals, Kurt may know.

Jim_Gruber
05-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Try this link I saved from a while back.

Hardtop Partshttps://www.scparts.co.uk/index/lang-2/lkz-195/markenid-3/katnr-61/kat_sprache-2/hrubnr-869/rubrik-1493/index.php?tpl=clickable_vertikal.tpl&artikeldetailtop=-500

Slick Willy
05-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the link. I will PM him.

RickB
05-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Best bet may be to get it cheap then spend a little more at an auto glass place.
Finding the right seals may be a problem, but the pros likely have something they can use.

05-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Best bet may be to get it cheap then spend a little more at an auto glass place.
Finding the right seals may be a problem, but the pros likely have something they can use.

Doesn't camper tops use a cut-to-fit seal?

nomad
05-20-2013, 02:25 AM
I got some seals for the factory top from Macgregor a while back. I think he's still around but best to do business with him by phone since E-mails don't seem to work.

Slick Willy
05-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks Nomad, that sounds great! I will try and look him up. Thanks for all the help guy's it really means alot. I'm kinda stuck out here in the mountains. I'm from a really small town and not much in the way of experts on these little cars or parts for that matter. I order a shop manual hope it gets here this week. I was reading on the Harley muffler. I hope to do that mod soon, looking at a stainless exhaust as well. Once more thanks for all your help guy's, means alot to a green horn.

Jim_Gruber
05-20-2013, 09:34 AM
MacGregor advertises in the back of Classic Motor Sports BTW. 800# for their office in Canada. Another good source for any type of Rubber Gasket or Seal for LBC's. Again phone them, e-mail is a foreign thing to them.

Slick Willy
05-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info on Mcgregors will be given them a call. Not to change subjects. I have found a Harley softtail muffler without the cross over hole. It is the bullet shaped one, would this be the correct type muffler to use? Can I punch out the center and use as is or would I need to do more? Love the way it looks on some of the pics I have seen. I have a mig welder, any other supplies I would need other than hangers and reducer pipe? Thanks.

David_Doan
05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
MacGregor advertises in the back of Classic Motor Sports BTW. 800# for their office in Canada. Another good source for any type of Rubber Gasket or Seal for LBC's. Again phone them, e-mail is a foreign thing to them.

MacGregor British Car Parts
376 Mill Street, Units 5&6
Dundas, Ontario L9H 2M1

Phone: 905-627-4006
Toll free: 1-877-777-6381

mail@macgregorukcarparts.com
https://www.macgregorukcarparts.com/

05-20-2013, 11:46 AM
I have found a Harley softtail muffler without the cross over hole. It is the bullet shaped one, would this be the correct type muffler to use? Can I punch out the center and use as is or would I need to do more? I have a mig welder, any other supplies I would need other than hangers and reducer pipe? Thanks.

Everything you need to know is in this thread :https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?90395-muffler-advice

I'd punch it out, note: that mean remove completely, not just knock a hole in it. I wouldn't do stainless exhaust either as it comes as a kit. You'd be buying another muffler you wouldn't be using. One of the main bennifits of the H-D muffler is it's cheap. That enables you to spend money on something else.

Is Karl still around? I need to get him to hear how quite this thing is so he can tell you guys. I can't get my vid to post in youtube.

05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Don't worry about where you are, this placd is the only thing you'l need. I'm in BFE too.

Slick Willy
05-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Thank you all. I went for a ride to Pikeville today and my heater valve sprang a leak. It was leaking between the valve and the base. I got it home and started working on it. Turns out that the base threads are just about rotted away. I'm going to fab up a block off plate until I can get a new base. Thanks for the link on the Harley muffler.

Trevor Jessie
05-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Went to Pikeville? Did you go there to try out the car on the "4-lane"? ;)

Actually, There are some really good driving roads in that area of which I'm envious.

nomad
05-20-2013, 09:25 PM
The bases for those valve's corrode away quite often. Aluminum mated with brass and iron makes for a little galvanic electrolisis.

Kurt.

Slick Willy
05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
I live about 35 miles away from Pikeville. Love the twisty back roads, It makes for some great riding and driving. But I was on the 4 lane when it let go. Easy fix and I'm back on the road, was heading to the harley shop to pick up a muffler when it happened.