PDA

View Full Version : MK2A Door Problem

oldrevhead
04-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Hi All Has anybody had a problem with there MK2 doors opening up when driving.Its very embarrassing when your door opens mid corner and try's to hit the car next to you or when the wife nearly disappears out the passenger door. I know i could just buy new latches but i am not sure that will fix the problem,They seem to be very secure when shut.thanks kym

Gerard
04-13-2013, 03:36 AM
The striker on the pillar should be conically shaped with a notch to secure the latch. I have seen strikers that were very grooved. If you didn't know what they should look like, you might think it's normal. I would check that first. If they look alright, then you either have some body flex or the doors or strikers are misaligned. Posting some pix would speak volumes.

oldrevhead
04-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks Gerard The latch and striker look ok.I think its flexing,It only comes open on some bumps.cheers kym

The striker on the pillar should be conically shaped with a notch to secure the latch. I have seen strikers that were very grooved. If you didn't know what they should look like, you might think it's normal. I would check that first. If they look alright, then you either have some body flex or the doors or strikers are misaligned. Posting some pix would speak volumes.

Jim_Gruber
04-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Hmmm, I'd think about taking a close look underneath to make sure there isn't some hidden structural problem you aren't aware of if you are getting that much chassis flex.

Trevor Jessie
04-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Sounds like the pin is not completely seating.