PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Mounting location for electric fuel pump on TR6

Gliderman8
03-09-2013, 05:29 PM
At the end of October, I purchased a Facet electric fuel pump to install on my TR6. Its been a cold winter and I didn't feel like working on the install in an unheated garage. Today is the day that I decided to install the pump as the temps are in the 50's!
Just where do you mount the pump?
The base of the pump is too wide to fit the frame... of course I could trim the base of the pump if that's whats required.
If anyone who has mounted the Facet pump can post a few pics of the mounting and location that would be great.
Thanks for any help!

justin_mercier
03-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I dont have a facet pump, but I do have an electric fuel pump that I just recently mounted. Electric pumps like to be pushers rather than pullers, so you should mount it close to the tank. I mounted mine just under the rear shock tower on the side of the frame.

DNK
03-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Which Facet Elliot?

Gliderman8
03-09-2013, 07:02 PM
This one.....

DNK
03-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Any reason you plan on changing to an electric?

dklawson
03-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, bub didn't the injected European cars put their pump low in the left side of the boot near the tank itself?

With those "brick" Facet pumps, pay attention to their suggestion to mount the pump at an angle. It was explained to me that the internal bits of the pump continue to seal better/longer if the moving parts operate at an angle off vertical.

Gliderman8
03-10-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm installing the electric only because of perceived reliability? I mean the mechanical pump was rebuilt when I completed the car and is doing OK but I worry about it failing one day so therefore I thought I'd install the electric.
As for mounting on an "angle" this is what the instructions say:
NOTE: It is recommended that the outlet of the pump
be at least 45 above horizontal. This will
allow any vapor buildup to easily pass

through the pump.

DNK
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Elliot- I'd keep the mech one if it is doing fine and then wire the electric as a back up when needed
Those Facets can be loud

Gliderman8
03-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Don- are you saying to run separate fuel lines from the electric to bypass the mechanical pump?

Doug-As for mounting it low in the boot, I just had a look in the boot area.... the bottom of the tank has a fitting that goes through the body. If I mount the pump in the boot, I don't see how I would be able to connect the inlet side of the pump from inside the boot.

DNK
03-10-2013, 12:56 PM
No, lots of people have set up the electric as back up with just movement of lines.
Somebody will have to chime in on the how

donbmw
03-10-2013, 02:23 PM
I have had an electric pump like that on my TR3 mounted inline for the last few years. Have not had any fuel delivery issue. It has help on hot start issues.

Don

Gliderman8
03-10-2013, 03:25 PM
That is good to know Don. One question: Is the pump noisy?

dklawson
03-10-2013, 03:56 PM
I'll answer the "noisy Facet" question. Yes. However, if you put the pump on rubber mounts it is a lot better. Unlike an electric SU pump, a Facet runs all the time. You are not likely to notice either when you are at speed. You will notice a Facet pump at idle, particularly if it is on a panel that can vibrate on its own.

donbmw
03-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I only hear low tic tic sound.

Don

DNK
03-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Don- Any chance that's the valves?:excitement:

BobbyD
03-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Before converting to TBI, I had the facet pump located in the trunk on the left side next to the tank. Facet is pretty specific about location relative to the tank outlet. These pumps do a good job at pushing fuel but not so good at pulling fuel. I isolated the pump with rubber between the pump and mounting point. They're not loud per se..... they click.

donbmw
03-12-2013, 08:44 AM
I only hear this tic tic when the pump is on. I installed the pump more for hot start problems.

Don

Gliderman8
03-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Before converting to TBI, I had the facet pump located in the trunk on the left side next to the tank.
I considered the area on the left in the trunk.... but, how did you manage to plumb the "in" line from the tank. As you know there is a hole in the trunk directly under the outlet fitting of the tank that is only accessible from underneath the car. Did you have it hooked up with the stock tank?
Any photos or further advice as to routing the feed line would be appreciated... thanks!

hondo402000
03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
I put my carter pump in the boot, place where described above, thing is you can mount it in the engine bay as long as its at the same level at the mechanical pump, even though its a pusher, it is lower than the tank so it will have a natural flow to it.

Gliderman8
03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
hondo- You are correct... the instructions with the pump just say to mount with 12" VERTICAL of the bottom of the fuel tank. Anywhere on the frame (longitudinal) falls within those parameters.
So how did you access the outlet of your tank when you installed your carter pump in the trunk?

DNK
03-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Isn't there a hole there already.
Can't remember.
If not I drilled a new one when the carter was planed for my build.

Anyone want to buy a Carter?

Gliderman8
03-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Don- The outlet is on the left side of the tank; the outlet sits over a hole in the trunk and there is a short metal tube coming out of the bottom of the tank which connects to the tubing running along the side of the frame.
How then do you bring the exit point of the tank back into the trunk to connect to the pump? Anybody?

DNK
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Been looking for my old pics
I'll see if I have any

Gliderman8
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
thanks

DNK
03-12-2013, 06:34 PM
No luck
I think I lost a USB drive on the trip over with those pics
IF there is no hole
The PI models got there somehow.
drill 2 more

DNK
03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Elliot- It's been a while but there seems to be lots of holes on that side

Gliderman8
03-12-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm not concerned with mounting the pump or even running the outlet from the pump to the carbs.... my major concern is making the connection from the tank to the inlet of the pump since the connection to the tank is only accessible from under the car.
What I'm trying to say is that if I mount the pump in the trunk, I would have to run a fuel line from under the car where the tank fitting is back to the pump which would be in the trunk.
I will have another look to see if I missed something.

donbmw
03-12-2013, 08:32 PM
I did not run a new line from the tank to the electric pump. It is using the original fuel line. I mount my pump to the LH side of the spare tire tub. Cut fuel line and used hoses from line from tank to electric pump. Hose from electric pump the fuel line to engine driven pump.

Don

Gliderman8
03-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks don for the explanation Don... one question: Was this on your TR3A or a TR6?

donbmw
03-12-2013, 09:50 PM
On my TR3

Gliderman8
03-12-2013, 09:55 PM
The line from the tank on the TR6 is accessible from underneath the trunk, there is no connection to "cut" inside the trunk to make the hookup to the pump.

Gliderman8
03-12-2013, 10:08 PM
The RED ARROW is pointing to the tank outlet which goes through a hole in the trunk and is only accessible from below the trunk.

donbmw
03-12-2013, 10:47 PM
On the TR3 the line from the tanks is the same. You can only get to it form under the car. I found place that was clear of anything and as close to the tank.

Gliderman8
03-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Don- Maybe I interpreted your mounting instructions for the pump incorrectly... are you saying you mounted the pump on the LH side of the spare tire well on the bottom of the car? That would make sense only I would have to remove the exhaust pipes to get to that area.

donbmw
03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Yes it is mounted on the out side of the tire well but on the side of the tire well. I wanted the pump as close as i could get it to the tank and it would clear anything that moved up and down or round and around.

Gliderman8
03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
OK, now that makes sense. I just hate the thought of removing the mufflers to get to the mounting location.

BobbyD
03-13-2013, 10:20 PM
OK....I've got a whole new section on my site about upgrading to a custom aluminum tank (https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/AluminumTank.htm).......but there's also some pictures on the stock holes in the floor of the tank area.

Ignore hole # 3....... I drilled that one but all the others are in every TR6 tanks floor area and, I think, in every TR4 too. So mount the pump next to the tank and run the lines up and down through those holes.

EDIT.......... I found some pictures on a back up DVD that showed how I did the Facet pump. It was actually mounted behind the trunk panel but attached to the side of the spare tire well. What I don't remember is if that hole in the spare tire well was there or if I drilled it. So the fuel line came out of the tank bottom (stock location) and up through hole #2 to the top of the Facet pump. Then out the bottom of the pump, through the spare tire well floor where it reconnected to the steel fuel line to the front of the car. You can also see how I mounted it with rubber and wood to minimize the clicking sound

26312 .26316

DNK
03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
See Elliot. Told you there were plenty of extra holes there

Gliderman8
03-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Just returned from Richmond, so sorry for the late reply. Yes, I always knew there were plenty of holes with plugs back in that area; it was the routing of the "fuel in" and "fuel out" that I had questions about.

DNK
03-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Doesn't really matter what holes you use
Use 1 for in and another for out

Gliderman8
03-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Just returned from Richmond, so sorry for the late reply. Yes, I always knew there were plenty of holes with plugs back in that area; it was the routing of the "fuel in" and "fuel out" that I had questions about.

BobbyD
03-18-2013, 02:25 PM

My pictures should answer that question...... and in checking further i.e. lying under the car...... I did drill the fuel line hole in the truck for the facet pump.

Gliderman8
03-18-2013, 03:21 PM
My pictures should answer that question...... and in checking further i.e. lying under the car...... I did drill the fuel line hole in the truck for the facet pump.
Thanks for the pics and explanation Bobby.... it all helps. In the next week or so I'll start the install.