PDA

View Full Version : TR6 76 TR6 Throttle Return

Don_Houston
03-02-2013, 12:39 PM
The gas pedal will not return. I installed the bushings where the rod goes through the body (they were previously non-existant) and put a new spring from the throttle rod to the carb linkage. There is no spring at the pedal (unlike the clutch and brake) and it does not look like there should be one. What can I try next? Many Thanks!

alanjohnturner
03-02-2013, 01:19 PM
If this is like a 4A there should be a spring in the engine-bay. Goes from a tag on the body to the arm that works the carbs.

Al.

justin_mercier
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
You also need to check that the throttle linkage itself, the clunky arm with a spring on it and joints, isnt all gummed up and stiff. If it's not moving very freely it can inhibit the pedal return.

alanjohnturner
03-02-2013, 02:11 PM
All told I think there are four springs returning the throttle.

one from the body tag to the pedal arm
one on the L-shaped plate under the carbs
two short circular ones right up against each carb

The last two have a tension-adjustment somehow.

Al.

TR3driver
03-02-2013, 03:14 PM
You also need to check that the throttle linkage itself, the clunky arm with a spring on it and joints, isnt all gummed up and stiff. If it's not moving very freely it can inhibit the pedal return.
That would be my approach; disconnect the various segments of the linkage and find all the places it is stiff, binding or sticky. It's not telling you the springs are too weak, it's telling you that something is binding.

poolboy
03-02-2013, 04:02 PM
The gas pedal will not return. I installed the bushings where the rod goes through the body (they were previously non-existant) and put a new spring from the throttle rod to the carb linkage. There is no spring at the pedal (unlike the clutch and brake) and it does not look like there should be one. What can I try next? Many Thanks!
I notice that you didn't mention Moss 582-780 "Pedal Return Spring" which you should have had to deal with when you replaced the bushings.

TR3TR6
03-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Make sure the throttle shaft is straight. If it has just a little bend in it, it will create an bind when you push on the pedal. Ask me how I know!

DougF
03-02-2013, 04:14 PM
If you aren't concerned with originality, once you get those linkages working properly, get rid of them and purchase a Ratco throttle cable assembly. Much smoother and actually gave me a little more pedal.

Don_Houston
03-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all the good help. The spring on the horizontal carb linkage was on the wrong side of the mounting plate. It was on the rear side of the rear carb when it should have been on the front side of the rear carb. Seems to work good now. There is a body tag in the drivers side foot well above the gas pedal with nothing attached to it. Any idea what it is for?