PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Should inner tubes be used with TR3 OEM steel wheels

Scotsman
02-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Should inner tubes be used with TR3 OEM steel wheels? Was told by a local shop that inner tubes should be used because the OEM wheels are riveted and prone to leaks. I currently have radials on without inner tubes and they are holding pressure just fine.
I am planning on having the wheels chemically stripped and repainted. Can this cause issues with leaks.
Spray paint or powder. Thinking of metallic silver. Have been told that powder coating can potentially hide cracks in the wheels due to the coating being more flexible, and are more prone to chipping. Your thoughts!

TR3driver
02-18-2013, 02:38 AM
1. I never have, never had a problem with them leaking. I did have a motorhome wheel once that leaked at the rivets, but a coat of paint inside the rim stopped the leak.

2. Sorry, no idea on that one.

3. If the PC is done right, it should be much less prone to chipping than paint. Friend of mine hit a curb with a PC'd sway bar. Bent the bar by nearly an inch, but only scuffed the PC. Cracking could be an issue, but hopefully you aren't planning on driving hard on original wheels anyway.

Vaark01
02-18-2013, 07:58 AM
I never had a problem with my steel wheels leaking without tubes. I refinished them by sanding and then using Moss spray silver cans. Results were very good.

Kleykamp
02-18-2013, 08:07 AM
I had a set of original steel wheels chemically cleaned and powder coated silver. They turned out great,with no issues. Did not use tubes. The powder coat should hold up better than painting. The only thing is that you can paint the wheels yourself and save $'s. I recently did the same with wire wheels, but did use tubes with them.