PDA

View Full Version : Healey BN7 Soft Top installation instructions needed

sailor
01-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Over the years I acquired an AMCO softtop and have via eBay and other means obtained all the necessary components to put it together. The biggest question I have is how to attach the top to the wood frame and the metal form which then is hooked to the windshield frame. Is there an instructional video or pictures helping with this available?
TIA,
Richard of KY
BN7 #440

Bob Hughes
01-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Richard

If nobody has advised you yet - consider this suggestion.

The last time I put a soft top on an early car it was a 100/6, the soft top came with the rear tennax studs already installed, so it was relatively easy to install. I guess in your case there is nothing fitted.
I have recently fitted a BJ7 hood - twice - due to the car being a rolling restoration and you can end up doing things several times over.

You may like to consider this it is kind of trial and error

I assume all the tennax studs and turn buttons are fitted around the body and that the frame has the straps on it, they should be fitted to the bow as well. If not then you have to trial fit the frame and the strap/bow relationship, with the BJ7, I fitted the straps to the front bow and then fitted them to the frame after the soft top was installed.

If you are using a new bow then you will need to locate the clamps at each end, fit the metal aluminium finisher strip and the seal, mark the centreline of the bow and the top of the windcreen and after lining the centrelines up, push down on the bow and mark up the positions of the clamps on the wood, remove all from the car and fit the clamps to the wood.

Now the 100/6 frame had a leg on it that fitted into a rubber clip so the frame could be erected and would be reasonably tensioned, if you do not have that facility then tie the rear of the frame down to something at the rear of the cockpit to provide the necessary tension for the frame.

Measure up the front and back of the hood and mark the centre lines in yellow crayon ( any colour would do I guess as long as you can see it)
Measure up the front bow and mark the centre line, at this point all the metal bits and seals should be fixed to the bow, also mark up the centre of the windcreen along the top edge and also mark up the centre line on the stud fasteners on the back of the car.

Fit the bow to the windscreen

With the side screens installed lay out the soft top over the frame

Now the trick would be to losely tack the front of the soft top with 2 or 3 tacks to the wooden bow lining up the centre lines. I actually used a small scrap of vinyl doubled over as a washer and tacked the soft top to the wood roughly where the Hydem strip would be, the idea is that I could seal any small hole later with sealant and it would be hidden under the Hydem, then, when the soft top is pulled tightish at the back again lining up the centre lines, the rear edges of side screens are just clear so the doors can open without fouling the soft top. This is the trial and error bit and some help may be required here. Once you are happy with the fit, then you can press the soft top down onto the rear studs to mark the position of the tennax fasteners, I would start at / near the centre and fit them one at a time working each side of the car and studding the rear of the hood down as you go, checking at the door openings each time. once all the rear fixings are on, apply yourself to the turn buttons next to the door ( if your car has them ) and then go to the front bow where you can then release the three temporary fixings and pull the soft top forward a tad to straighten it up and then tack it along the front bow edge. Once this is done remove the soft top and front bow from the car - strip off the metal and seals from the wooden bow and fold the soft top material under the bow and tack it down to the wood. At this point I used a silicone sealant on the metal and fixed it back onto the bow and then fited the rubber seal with a contact adhesive.

A bit long winded and I hope that I have not missed the point of your thread

:cheers:

Bob

Bob Hughes
01-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Richard

Have a look at the thread started by Vespa who has a question regarding the webbing and front bow. Andrea has posted some piccys that may assist.

:cheers:

Bob

British_Recovery
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Richard, The BN7 and BN6 would be the same. The top frame has adjusters at the bottoms of the main posts to increase tension by moving the whole frame upward after mounting the top itself. With the bar across the back and the frame in its lowest position, and clamped to the posts, drape the top over the wooden bow. Temporarily clamp or tape the top in place at the windscreen. Now get out the side screens and fit them to the windshield posts. Check the amount of top material at the sides. If all is in the ballpark as far as fit, you can start actually mounting the vinyl to the wood. The center is where you start. Check that the Tenax fasteners will have room on the lower part of the top at the rear and install them later to avoid wrinkles. The turnbuckle position should also be checked to make sure there's enough material. There are different height turnbuckles if needed. This should all be done with things warm, but not too warm to over stretch things. Staples can be used, or tacks and avoid any hammering or pressure on the windshield. Also stainless or brass to avoid rust. Don't cut anything until you are happy with the fit. The vinyl goes down to the aluminum and stops there. The Hide-em strip covers the tacks. Patience, and then some more patience, and you'll be fine. Good luck, Bob

Johnny
01-15-2013, 12:47 PM
:applause: I have to agree with Bob on just about everything above. I can only add that if you're installing a vinyl top be sure and work in a very warm environment. I had to place a heater inside the car to warm the top ( placed on the frame loose). Also don't glue the top to the frame rail as specified in the instructions. Also be sure and line up the detachable rear window before finally attaching.

sailor
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I will go search for some patience now.
Richard of KY
BN7 #440

johnmdanskin
01-13-2015, 10:35 PM
I replied here. I decided that my post should really be a new thread. I can't find the delete button. Please consider this reply deleted. Sorry.