PDA

View Full Version : Expolding moonroof

Rhodyspit75
12-20-2012, 05:40 PM
This morning while traveling on the interstate with no other cars close and in an open area going about 70 my moonroof exploded. The vehicle is a 2011 Honda CRV. All of a sudden there was a loud bang and then I heard what must have been the remains going over the roof. I exited and checked all around and under the car and found nothing. Later I heard something and looked in the mirror, I saw what I thought was ice going off the roof although I didn't know why I would even have ice, it was about 45degrees. . It wasn't until later when I stopped that I discovered my moon roof had a hole in it that looked like it had blown out from the inside. Anyone ever hear of this? The dealership is going to replace it but said they had never seen it before.

Gliderman8
12-20-2012, 05:56 PM
First I'm glad you are OK...
Second, this recall on 2012 Hyundai Veloster for Exploding Sunroofs (https://www.glassbytes.com/newsVeloster20121219.htm) just happened yesterday.... sound familiar?

Here's a quote from a Hyundai owner that had the same thing happen:
On September 26, another consumer said she was driving when "all of a sudden there was a loud bang like a gunshot and [she] heard something raining down on [her] car. [She] looked in the mirror and saw glass flying everywhere." An eyewitness to this particular incident reported that "the glass in the sunroof blew straight [upward] like a Coke exploding."

drooartz
12-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Not on a Honda CRV, but Hyundai just issued a recall for the Veloster (https://www.autoevolution.com/news/nhtsa-issues-recall-for-hyundai-veloster-for-spontaneously-exploding-sunroof-and-parking-brake-53212.html) due to exploding sunroofs.

Glad you're okay though

Edit: Elliot beat me to it...

judow
12-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Must have been caused by 'salt water intrusion'. Just joshing, thank goodness you are okay. Certainly a major defect. I'd be curious to know what caused it.

AN5Sprite
12-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Short answer:
Tempered glass instead of laminated glass.
Happens more than "they" want you to believe.

TOC
12-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Got a story about glass.
In......early 1974, while my infant son was at an appointment in the basement of the Navy Hospital in Charleston, SC, a tornado touched down in the parking lot.
Lights went out, emergency power cut in, all the HVAC ductwork was bouncing...came up to the main floor when we were done, everybody was in the middle of the room, all the windows were GONE.
Parking lot was a warzone. Tress across cars...and every window in the lot was exploded.
Empty holes where the windows were, glass nuggets everywhere....EXCEPT for my 1950 Ford, which used the other kind of glass. I had one cracked side glass where a branch hit it.
We were the only vehicle to drive out of there that day.

Dave

12-21-2012, 07:59 AM
It's part of the Mayan 'Pockyclypse. What's Happening is all of the planets are aligning causing increaded gravity that results in unusual moon activity... :grin:

12-21-2012, 08:01 AM
....EXCEPT for my 1950 Ford,
We were the only vehicle to drive out of there that day.

Dave

In other words, the only thing left after the 'Pockyclypse will be Dad and his Ford.

Rhodyspit75
12-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Happy ending! After it happened I went straight to the dealership closest to home. Left the car and picked it up the next day all fixed and for free. Still no explanation except maybe that Pockyclypse thing. But wait that didn't happen . Thanks for all the kind words. Ernie

Basil
12-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Not on a Honda CRV, but Hyundai just issued a recall for the Veloster (https://www.autoevolution.com/news/nhtsa-issues-recall-for-hyundai-veloster-for-spontaneously-exploding-sunroof-and-parking-brake-53212.html) due to exploding sunroofs.

Glad you're okay though

Edit: Elliot beat me to it...

I wonder if both companies get their moon roofs from the same supplier?

Gliderman8
12-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't think this sort of thing is so unusual.... back in the mid 60's my brother bought a brand new Ford Galaxie with convertible top. The rear window of the convertible was a zip out GLASS window.
While driving his car one day, the rear window just exploded. No explanation given, Ford just replaced it. This is not something new.

Rhodyspit75
12-22-2012, 12:12 PM
I thought the same thing Basil. All my glass has made in Japan on it and the replacement roof had a sticker on it that said Japan also. Anyone got a Hyundai?

Basil
12-22-2012, 02:28 PM
I thought the same thing Basil. All my glass has made in Japan on it and the replacement roof had a sticker on it that said Japan also. Anyone got a Hyundai?

Well, as a matter of fact I have a Hyundai Santa Fe with a moon roof (best car I've EVER owned by the way). So far no issues with it (knock on wood)

12-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Still no explanation except maybe that Pockyclypse thing. But wait that didn't happen .

Actually, it did, welcome to the great beyond. It obviously sucks just as bad. :cool-new: