PDA

View Full Version : The problem with old plumbers

TR6BILL
12-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I had a new dishwasher installed in the kitchen and hired a retired plumber to do the job. He also changed all my water valves under the sink (replaced 35-year-old parts). I came home after work to check out my new appliance and....nothing! He forgot to install a power cord. Old plumbers never die, they just get forgetful.

DNK
12-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Most new dishwashers come with a cord on them
That's why a new code is sweeping the nation to have the outlet be on a switch so DIY can do it and not die
Bill, do you have a receptacle under the sink?

GregW
12-13-2012, 10:58 PM
forgot to install a power cord.

It's EnergyStar compliant!

TR6BILL
12-14-2012, 05:25 AM
Bill, do you have a receptacle under the sink?

Receptacle behind built-in dishwasher.

Interestingly, the appliance is the top-of-the-line Kenmore Elite which I got from Sears as a Lemon Law replacement for the same exact dishwasher earlier this year. After three in-house service calls and several phone service calls, Sears agreed to a total replacement, without installation. This is my first Sears appliance, and my last. Wish I had stayed with KitchenAid, although I think they are all made overseas now anyway.

PAUL161
12-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Our new house was completed 6 months ago and the wife bought Electrolux appliances with the exception of the frige, which is Samsung. Got them from Lowes. All seem to be of good quality. Time will tell. PJ

JPSmit
12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
OT but we've got nothing good to say about Kitchenaid in our house. They may have been good, but now, they are just Whirlpool. I have a six year old fridge that I can't repair on account a they don't make the circuit board any longer.

Basil
12-14-2012, 10:08 AM
And we do appreciate you lowering your Carbon footprint! :applause:

Basil
12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
OT but we've got nothing good to say about Kitchenaid in our house. They may have been good, but now, they are just Whirlpool. I have a six year old fridge that I can't repair on account a they don't make the circuit board any longer.

When we needed a new Dishwasher we decided to go whole hog and bought a Bosch. I love that thing! It cleans like nobody's business and it is so quiet you honestly can't tell when it's running unless you put your ear up against the door!

Later, we replaced our stove with a Bosch unit also - equally happy with that!

waltesefalcon
12-14-2012, 11:33 AM
I have several dishwashers, their names are Joseph, Alex, and Matthew. Take that carbon footprint.

Silverghost
12-14-2012, 04:40 PM
On a related topic - what's a small kitchen and why is Best Buy having a sale on appliances for them?? :)

Nunyas
12-14-2012, 07:03 PM
it's where Santa's elves bake his cookies in the off season

Bayless
12-15-2012, 11:47 AM
We bought a Bosch dishwasher about 10 years ago and still love it. Like Bas said, you can hardly hear it running. Will soon be replacing Maytag laundry with Bosch too. And I have several Bosch woodworking tools. The only Kitchenaid we have is a pre-Whirlpool stand mixer that is outstanding.

sail
12-15-2012, 11:52 AM
On a related topic - what's a small kitchen and why is Best Buy having a sale on appliances for them?? :)

What's a small kitchen is what I have. Don't need Best Buy, paid $55 30 years ago for this 1932 Clark Jewel. Thats our stove.

https://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/sail8222/kitchen_zps1c89702d.jpg

Nunyas
12-15-2012, 02:04 PM
ooo... that thing is beautimous!

PC
12-15-2012, 04:20 PM
What's a small kitchen is what I have. Don't need Best Buy, paid $55 30 years ago for this 1932 Clark Jewel. Thats our stove.

https://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa372/sail8222/kitchen_zps1c89702d.jpg

I love it! Sort of the Lotus Europa of kitchens, compact elegant and effective.

The icebox is a wonderful piece. (But I presume you have a fridge too?)

PC
12-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Oh, and I love most of the Bosch products I have, but not all.

Love my Bosch routers.

The dishwasher is wonderfully quiet. Our previous Whirlpool sounded like a train wreck every time we used it. And even though it was completely functional, replacing it was worth every penny.

The Bosch oven was also a nice step up.

Sadly, our Bosch cooktop is junk. Other than the most basic "fire, gooood..." characteristics, the flame is nicely controllable, everything else about it is pathetic.

First off, it was DOA. Brand spanking new, right out of the box it was was non-functional. And not damaged in shipping, either. It was just miserable quality control at the factory. So off the bat that had to go back for repair.

Then, the ceramic coating started flaking off almost immediately. We didn't bash it or scratch it or anything. It just started flaking. Had to be bad process control at the factory.

The markings that tell you which knob controls which burner have rubbed off too. (And no, I don't use steel wool or Comet on it.) The burner controls also exhibit poor unit-to-unit consistency. Each one has different feel.

I don't know what the idiot who designed the burners was thinking, but they're keyed for absolutely no reason. They're perfectly symmetrical disks, ringed by perfectly symmetrical holes, sitting on a perfectly symmetrical flange, fed by a perfectly symmetrical tube. But they have tiny key that must be rotationally positioned +/- one degree to fit or they'll sit cockeyed and won't burn right. And if you touch them, even slightly, while cleaning or whatever they leap off the key and sit cockeyed.

Doubly sadly, the cooktop was the one piece that was made in the USA. (By Thermador, which Bosch bought in the late 90's to beef up their US presence.)

pc

sail
12-15-2012, 05:30 PM
(But I presume you have a fridge too?)Plug in ELECTRIC.

Still dinkin w/ photo downloads, thanks for the space Bill. Good luck with install.

judow
12-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Richard - I want your kitchen. I love the stove and everything else. :encouragement: If we were to relocate and live in a normal house, I would decorate in 30's-40's genre- everything in the house, not just the kitchen. As we live in a log home, we are very eclectic right down to the gas pumps in the living room. It's fun and I suspect we will spend the rest of our days here. I'm happy with that. :joyous:

DNK
12-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Richard is pulling our leg.
Next he will post Ozzie and Harriett in that same kitchen

mailbox
12-15-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't mean to be contrary, but we have 26 year old Kenmore washer and dryer set we purchased before we got married and just last year purchased a Whirlpool fridge and had zero problems with both. Basil, we also purchased a Bosch stove and we LUUUUUV ours. It is great.:)

sail
12-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Richard is pulling our leg.
Next he will post Ozzie and Harriett in that same kitchen

Ok ya got me. Qzzie was a goof. Harriett was hot and from my hometown of Des Moines. This is really my kitchen:

AngliaGT
12-16-2012, 10:33 PM
You have earthquakes in Iowa? I remember tornados (warnings) when I
was in Cedar Rapids,but not earthquakes.
When we had a problem with our refidgerator,the repairman told me that
they're expected to last about 5 years.We've had three of them since we were mar-
ried almost 35 years ago.
My Parents bout a Kelvenator (sp) in 1953,& when they replaced it in '67,
they gave to their Friends.It was still working last I heard.

- Doug