PDA

View Full Version : TR5/TR250 2500 Gearbox into TR3A

Simmo
12-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I am in the process of fitting a 2500TC Gearbox to my 3A. I got lucky and found this TC, on blocks in a Barn.
It had been on these blocks for fifteen years and I managed to somehow purloin the Gearbox and J type overdrive.

Instead of just replacing the Clutch Plate to suit the smaller spline I decided to buy a whole new 2500 Clutch kit and had the Flywheel ground and tapped to suit the new clutch bolts and dowels.

I have been having nightmares because some have said that there may not be enough room between the diaphragm fingers and the release bearing.

I have the two old clutches, so I put them together on the bench, see pic.
The TR one is on the RHS.

It appears to me that there is a vast amount of room. Or am I not seeing something?
Just thought I would post this as it may be of interest to someone.

TR3driver
12-05-2012, 11:05 PM
One thing to look at is how far the front cover of the gearbox protrudes into the center of the pressure plate. I know that, when fitting a TR4A-TR6 clutch to a TR3 gearbox, the front cover has to be trimmed slightly or the pressure plate diaphragm will drag against it when the clutch is depressed. The hole in the center closes up when the plate is compressed, and tries to grab the front cover (making a mess out of both of them).

But I would guess that will not be an issue for you. Just something I would want to double-check.

Simmo
12-06-2012, 02:46 AM
I wouldnt have thought of that Thank you TR3