PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3B VB windshield

TFB
12-05-2012, 02:44 PM
I recieved my new windshield and matching sealing strip from VB.Concerned about breakage and reading here about some strips being to thick I decided to fit the old winshield as practice and to check fit.The supplied strip seems to thick,about 2x the original .The new windshield measures .246 and the old is .264 so the strip may be ok.Havent tried it yet.

Has anyone installed on of the VB windshields and used the supplied strip?
Any lubricant recommendations?
Thanks
Tom

luke44
12-05-2012, 10:33 PM
There are a few tricks for sure. This thread may be of value....I think my the seals and rubber came from TRF, but I referenced Moss part numbers because they have the diagrams online and were easier to link to. The glass I used was off an ebay vendor and was a tad thinner than original but I didn't measure it. My guess is it would be the same producer used by VB. Good luck!

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?85673-TR3-Windshield-Rebuild-and-Assembly-Step-by-Step&highlight=tr3+windshield+rebuild

TFB
12-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Hey Luke,Thanks for reply.I actually found your excellent step by step after posting(BTW search feature on new forum seems much improved,thanks Basil)I like the duct tape idea. I still need the corner finishers,but they are later style than yours,and NA so will probabley make them as last step.Your car looks great,hope to see it at some shows ,maybe the shore this year?
Thanks
Tom

MDCanaday
12-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Do a dry fit first!!!! VB has had a bad batch of wind screens for tr3's that were badly cut in the corners.They just dont work.
They may have gotten better ones,but last I checked(I live close) they were all alike.....In any case it is easier to use the strips in a few places then ureathane the whole thing together. Dont worry about the mess,it all cleans up in a snap when dry. Takes a fraction of the time and never leaks(here).
MD

bobhustead
12-26-2012, 09:38 AM
As for the lube, I used crisco on mine. Use moderate amounts on the splines and the grooves so you can keep a good grip on the business part. Inchworm it in, pulling the bitter end tight, then pushing the standing part.
Bob

PKPoole
12-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Hello. From the lessons learned (by breaking the 1st glass!), order the MGA windshield seal from Moss. It is thinner and much easier to make the assembly. Good luck.

TuffTR250
12-27-2012, 07:04 PM
I just received a TR3 windshield from VB and as you say the lower corners are not good. It has one pretty bad corner and one that is not good. It looks like one piece of the laminated glass has nice round corners whereas the other piece has somewhat pointed sharp corners. They obviously did not round the corners after the two pieces of glass were laminated together. Is there any way to round the corners without breaking the glass?? Would some kind if grinding wheel on a Dremel do the job? Thanks for the help!
Regards,
Bob

Crankshaft
12-27-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure I would use a grinder or even a dremel tool. If there is a small amount to dress off, try some emery cloth and a sanding block.

l

TuffTR250
12-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks Phil! There's about 1/8 inch of pointed glass sticking out. Good idea to use sanding block and emery cloth. Hopefully I can sand down that much glass. I am leery of using a dremel, but couldn't think of anything else that might do the job.
Regards,
Bob

George_H
12-28-2012, 10:39 AM
DO NOT use a dremel. Heat is the enemey when grinding glass. If you try and grind without coolant you will break it. laminated and tempered makes it even worse. It can be sanded by hand but will take some time.

MDCanaday
12-29-2012, 01:11 AM
If you go to a glass shop this is easy......but VB owes you for this BS ,they have known for 2 years they have a bad product.
No idea where these windscreens came from but I have seen several that the glass did NOT reach the corners and left a hole you could poke a pencil through.
This of course would cause a water leak that might drown the hardiest sidescreen driver!!
MD

TFB
12-29-2012, 10:18 AM
I still havent fit the VB glass to the frame but the corner profile seems to match the original.I did test fit the supplied seal strip and at about .060 seemed to thick,although a little nicer with a fabric type side and a smooth side.The MGA strip they sent is about .030 and although its more like a bicycle rim strip smooth rubber it fits better and is what I am intendending to use,unless I have problems,then I will probably use a urethane.It will be after New year but I will report on the fit when done.
Tom