PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Buying a top for my TR3A....Whats best?

Anthony_S
12-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Hello Everyone!

Well I have found out that my mother in-law is going to purchase me a new top for the TR this holiday season. I was wondering what your opinions are on what is the best and where to get it, ect...Thanks a bunch!

Anthony!

TR4nut
12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't think you can go too wrong with a Robbins top, I just fit one on my 3A and am very happy with it. Of course there are more expensive options out there if you want to go mohair or something, but for vinyl I think Robbins is what I'd pick.

Internet is your friend in finding best prices, TRF, Moss I think carry Robbins - I bought mine from topsonline.com and think I save a few bucks at least when I bought it earlier this year.

CJD
12-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Robbins is the oldest tp maker still in business. Note I said "still", as a lot have not made it. Definitely worth paying a bit extra for their's.

John

Jersey_Royal
12-07-2012, 08:10 AM
I don't think you can go too wrong with a Robbins top, I just fit one on my 3A and am very happy with it. Of course there are more expensive options out there if you want to go mohair or something, but for vinyl I think Robbins is what I'd pick.

Internet is your friend in finding best prices, TRF, Moss I think carry Robbins - I bought mine from topsonline.com and think I save a few bucks at least when I bought it earlier this year.

Hi,

I understand that Robbins top have a thicker vinyl front edge detail, which i am told should prevent water passing between top and frame,
have you been able to test this with your Topsonline hood.?

Any chance of a photo of that area

Thank you
Cheers
Guy

TR4nut
12-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Guy-

Despite living in Houston which is known for rain, we have been in a pretty decent drought for over a year so I've had no significant testing of the top and my installation prowess! I posted a few pics of the details of the Robbins top with flap on the TR Register forum (been a member since 2007 when I lived in the UK) since it may help others less familiar with the brand.

Randy

Jersey_Royal
12-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Guy-

Despite living in Houston which is known for rain, we have been in a pretty decent drought for over a year so I've had no significant testing of the top and my installation prowess! I posted a few pics of the details of the Robbins top with flap on the TR Register forum (been a member since 2007 when I lived in the UK) since it may help others less familiar with the brand.

Randy

Randy

Thanks again for the above.
Looks to me as if you have done a superb job on the hood and in fact your car.

Its a small world

Cheers
Guy

TR4nut
12-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks Guy - I can take credit for the hood but most of the credit for the car goes to the restorer before me - I did get it running again though!

Jim_Stevens
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I've seen a car with a mohair top--stunning! Although I think they soil more. There is a US distributor for them, btw. PM me if needed-- jim

Anthony_S
12-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the input fellas, I think I am going to go with topsonline.com They definitely have the best price on a Robbins top.