PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Battery

PSUTR3B
12-01-2012, 03:42 PM
The battery is about 8 years old and started the car all summer. After sitting about 3 weeks it would not turn it over. It shows 10.3 volts and after a charge showed 12 volts but still did not turn it over enough to start. Amp gauge shows a slight draw with ignition on and slightly more when attempting to start. Is the battery just kaput or is there a more troubling problem present?

Gary

NutmegCT
12-01-2012, 03:55 PM
There's *always* the possibility of a more troubling problem.

You're in Pennsylvania - the weather is colder now than summer, so there's less "oomph" in the battery, and more "need" from the starter turning over an engine full of thick summer-weight oil. Probably less driving now than in the summer.

First test: Borrow a battery or jump the battery from another car - hook it up correctly (negative vs positive ground, etc.), and try starting again with full choke. I'm betting your 8 year old battery has seen better days, especially as it's not likely to have been charged frequently in colder weather when we usually drive less.

Just my two cents.
Tom

TR3driver
12-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Clearly (IMO) the battery is kaput. I would go ahead and replace it, then double-check for any other problems. Like perhaps a slight current drain when the engine is off; or charging voltage that is a bit too high or too low.

Don't know if they are in PA, but the O'Reillys auto parts chain in CA will check out both the battery and the charging system for free. They seem to be honest about it (within the limits of their test equipment). Sears used to do it for free, but last time I checked there was a small charge (and I don't think they were always honest).

mrv8q
12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Funny, I just replaced my TR 3's 8 year old battery two weeks ago. Seems to be the lifespan on these. Treated it to a Battery Tender. Heard good things about 'em...

TR3driver
12-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Funny, I just replaced my TR 3's 8 year old battery two weeks ago. Seems to be the lifespan on these.
Lead acid batteries degrade with time, whether they are used or not. 8 years life is very good, IMO. Usually the "warranty" period is a pretty good indicator of how long you can expect it to last.

CJD
12-02-2012, 11:14 AM
IMO, any battery over 5 years is on borrowed time. You did well at 8!

John