PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 interior questions

ranchhand
11-19-2012, 09:28 AM
This is repost, I didn't get a chance to read replies before it vanished.
Hi
I would appreciate any help/opinions on a few of interior questions I have for TS9751L TR3.
I ordered an interior kit from Rimmer Bros, only ready made kit I could find that had the shade of blue I was looking for. The interior panels for the
rear quarter were vinyl covered millboard. Not only poorly covered but corners bent and pretty flimsy. Question #1- Would it be better to manufacture
them out of 1/8" plywood and recover?
The "fuzzy" draft seals for the doors. Question #2- Were they indeed the fuzzy material or covered with vinyl for the early model? I have seen pictures
both ways for newer vehicles.
Lastly, the footwell panels need to be replaced. The old ones rotted and had speaker holes cut into them. Question #3- 1/8" plywood for the material?
and the panels that were removed from car didn't fully back the carpet panel, just bottom 2/3 with large hole for dimmer switch on drivers side , top
arch was backed by millboard, should panel fully back carpet piece?
Any help appreciated.
Mary

AEW
11-19-2012, 07:55 PM
My latest choice was plywood since the masonite seems likely to warp if wetted. I've done door panels with 1/8" masonite in the past for other cars that were not long lasting. Though I think there are waxed waterproof versions of the masonite. The perfect choice in my opinion is marine Okoume. It is 4mm and is nice to cut. (I've built kayaks with it)

On the finish trim to the front panels question #2, my 56 has the hockey stick (originally of the fiber board material) covered with vinyl. I plan to do the same on the 57.

Sorry, I don't know the true kick panel pattern since all of mine were trashed. I will just fudge a lookalike and carpet it.

thegoodbeamer
11-19-2012, 09:43 PM
My latest choice was plywood since the masonite seems likely to warp if wetted. I've done door panels with 1/8" masonite in the past for other cars that were not long lasting. Though I think there are waxed waterproof versions of the masonite. The perfect choice in my opinion is marine Okoume. It is 4mm and is nice to cut. (I've built kayaks with it)

On the finish trim to the front panels question #2, my 56 has the hockey stick (originally of the fiber board material) covered with vinyl. I plan to do the same on the 57.

Sorry, I don't know the true kick panel pattern since all of mine were trashed. I will just fudge a lookalike and carpet it.

The problem with plywood /masonite is that it must have a good oil paint primer on all surfaces

ranchhand
11-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Thank you guys for your replies. Thinking of plywood with some spar varnish or lacquer for weather proofing before covering. Cindy(my TR) doesn't get to play in rain so not too worried about weather too much.