PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of George Hudson's idea?

Basil
11-05-2012, 03:18 PM
What are your opinions of George Hudson's idea? Do you like it, or would you rather revert to the way things used to be?

11-05-2012, 03:24 PM
What are your opinions of George Hudson's idea? Do you like it, or would you rather revert to the way things used to be?

He's my favorite Beatle. :jester:

TOC
11-05-2012, 03:26 PM

I would be all for it...except when I am against it.

I looked in all the places I could think of, even did a search for "George Hudson" to see what idea he had that caught your attention..........nothing so far.

How about a short linque to said idea?

Dave

11-05-2012, 04:59 PM

I would be all for it...except when I am against it.

I looked in all the places I could think of, even did a search for "George Hudson" to see what idea he had that caught your attention..........nothing so far.

How about a short linque to said idea?

Dave

He's the Beatle that wants to get the band back together.

I say go for it! :jester:

TOC
11-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Kind of hard to do with two of them physically dead......

And yet, George Harrison....a song written by Mark Hudson for Ringo in honor of Harrison....but no George Hudsons are showing up for me.

TOC
11-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Ah, wait..........George Hudson, inventor of Daylight Savings Time?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/09..._n_1333378.html (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/09/daylight-savings-time-history-george-vernon-hudson_n_1333378.html)

So, there's a linque for ya.

Silverghost
11-05-2012, 05:18 PM
George Hudson was an entymologist, who collected - among other things - beetles! And it all ties together!! :laugh:

TOC
11-05-2012, 05:25 PM
I suppose one could say he wanted all the beetles dead and mounted on pins in his display case....

11-05-2012, 06:14 PM
George Hudson was an entymologist, who collected - among other things - beetles! And it all ties together!! :laugh:

Ooow, he's the guy that made the Hudson Hornet. I reaaly liked him in that Cars movie. Yeah, I totally like his "turn the other way" idea. Do you think he'll bring popcorn?

Boink
11-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm reminded of the words of the great English biologist, JBS Haldane. When being knighted by the queen, she asked him (words to the affect) "Dr. Haldane, after a lifetime of the study of nature, what have you learned about the mind of god?" He didn't skip a beat: "An inordinate fondness for beetles."

OK, end of beetle digression. :smile:

TOC
11-05-2012, 07:36 PM
So, back to Basil's initial query.
How many of use experienced no time change?
How many of us are old enough to cognizantly be aware of time that didn't change in fall?
So, going back to the way it was............

Sherlock
11-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I've been doing it for as long as I can remember, but... Talking to some friends of mine on Sunday who are parents of young children, their comment is that children don't deal well with the time adjustment, in particular nap times and such...

JodyFKerr
11-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I live in Arizona. I don't care which we do, providing that Arizona goes along. I work for a very large company that works across many, many time zones. It totally wreaks havoc on my schedule when everyone else changes, but we don't.

Not to mention my dear coworkers on the East Coast who don't realize this country has 5 time zones. They are not terribly apologetic when they call me at 5 am, but they seem rather annoyed when I call them at 5 pm (8pm est).

Jody

DrEntropy
11-05-2012, 09:32 PM
JOB is job, bubba.

Be glad.

JodyFKerr
11-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I would normally agree. But this week I'm trying to get used to a CPAP machine and I was already horribly sleep deprived to start with. So, whomever called me this morning got yelled at by Darth Vader.

Boink
11-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I don't get it. Supposedly it was for agriculture, right? But surely farmers are linked to the sun no matter what the official "time" is.

11-05-2012, 10:27 PM
I would normally agree. But this week I'm trying to get used to a CPAP machine and I was already horribly sleep deprived to start with. So, whomever called me this morning got yelled at by Darth Vader.

how's that workin'fer ya? I need me one I think.

JodyFKerr
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM

how's that workin'fer ya? I need me one I think.

I'll tell you in a few weeks.

DrEntropy
11-06-2012, 07:01 AM

Argh. Apologies.

JodyFKerr
11-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Argh. Apologies.

No, that was Talk Like a Pirate Day.

this was much more *ckhhhhhhhhhht* Luke, I am your Father *ckhhhhhht*

sd80mac7204
11-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I thought it was annoying this year. I was on the train home from Galveston during the time change. Amtrak burned the hour up by sitting in Alliance Ohio for an hour so that we still arrived in Pittsburgh at 4:35 am rather than modify their schedule for one day... I was ready to be home in my own bed at that point...

judow
11-06-2012, 10:33 AM
George "Vernon" Hudson. Wished I had gone on sooner I actually knew what the boss was talking about. As to his idea I'm so used to it that I've never given it a thought - I've just accepted. I do like getting up when the sun is out so... I guess I am happy with it.

Oh yes, I didn't know his middle name was Vernon but I did 'bing' him to see if what I thought I knew, I really did know.

(Went to school with an Andy Hudson who said his grandfather was George Hudson inventor of daylight savings time. Not sure if it was true but it sounded good and made us look at Andy differently.)

Silverghost
11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I seem to recall daylight savings time being "reinstated" in the 70's during the energy crisis?

Mickey Richaud
11-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Hateful idea.

But I understand the river named after him passes through some really pretty country.

Geo Hahn
11-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Having lived most of my life without it (Indiana, then Arizona) I can't say I feel like I've missed anything.

In fact I have avoided missing 60+ hours of sleep by staying a ST year-round.

The only way Arizona would change to DST is if the Federal Government told them they couldn't.

Mickey Richaud
11-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Having lived most of my life without it (Indiana, then Arizona) I can't say I feel like I've missed anything.

In fact I have avoided missing 60+ hours of sleep by staying a ST year-round.

The only way Arizona would change to DST is if the Federal Government told them they couldn't.

:lol:

Too true!

waltesefalcon
11-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Terrible idea.