View Full Version : More electric fuel pump questions...

10-30-2012, 01:53 PM
OK, I seem to have all the components to hookup the electric fuel pump except one.....
Once I remove the mechanical pump, how do I connect the 5/16" hose coming from the electric fuel pump to the metal line that was screwed into the old mechanical pump which goes to the carbs?
Do I just slide the compression nut back and push the hose over the flared end of the metal pipe and use a hose clamp?
Seems like a silly question, but I could use an answer. Pics of your hookup would be good too!
Thanks for any help you can offer.

10-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Have you mounted your electric fuel pump in the engine compartment? Mine is in the rear wheelwell near the tank.
There are several ways you could hook it up. You could cut the flare off and remove the nut so it isn't rattling around and just put a hose and a clamp on there. That would probably be the simplest. Or you could find a hose barb that would screw on to you fitting. I don't know what the threads are, maybe someone else does....

Dan B

10-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks for your reply dan...
I intend to keep the mechanical pump in the boot as a spare; with that said, I do not want to cut the threaded connection to the pump off in case I need to re-install it on the road.
As for finding a hose barb with a threaded female end and a 5/16" hose barb that would be ideal, but I've yet to find one!
Does anyone know if such a like this exists?
I haven't mounted the pump yet... I would like to mount it so I have access to it when required. Somewhere low on the fire wall or nearby chassis might be a possibility.

10-31-2012, 01:48 PM

You might be able to find the hose barb locally, or at McMaster Carr at this link.

How about mounting it to the blanking plate on the engine block? Then if you need to swap it out with the mechanical one you could just take it off and throw it in the trunk, and the lines should be pretty close to where they need to be.

10-31-2012, 02:06 PM
IIRC, the TR6 pump outlet fitting is the same as TR2-4 (even though the pump is different). If so, that is a special "inverted" compression fitting used only for fuel. You are not likely to find a mating adapter at MMC or any other general purpose supply house.

The easy route IMO would be to cut the existing line, then keep the cut end (with nut), a short length of suitable soft line, and a pair of hose clamps along with your spare mechanical pump.

Or just carry a spare electrical pump, which would be a lot easier to press into service on the side of the road.

10-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks Randall... that is not a bad suggestion (cutting the existing line). First I will give it a go to see if I can find the proper fitting; if not, then I think your "plan B" works just as well.

11-02-2012, 10:05 AM
I was thinking that may be a bastard size.