PDA

View Full Version : crease/dent in inner fender?

59Rob
10-30-2012, 10:01 AM
The motor is out but what I thought was a reasonably easy job now looks like a full blown retoration. I won't be getting to it for a bit but I'll be asking a ton of questions so I know what to do when I start. I've restored many cars but none were British, most of my questions will be regarding the mechanical side but I will have others, such as this one.

The car was hit on the right side some 50 years ago, the inner fender has a rather big crease/dent that looks semi natural so I don't know if it's meant to be like that or not? I saw a couple restored TR3's in the summer and the inner fenders weren't excatly smooth as glass so that didn't help and hard to tell with the motor in.

Here's a few pics, the gap is about an inch although it's hard to tell in the pic.

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/rj440/TR3/DSC05661.jpg

looking straight down on it with a straight edge against it

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i258/rj440/TR3/DSC05671.jpg

boxofparts
10-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I replaced the inner fenders on the TR3 I was restoring and ran into some outer fender alignment issues. Nothing fits like the original so metal work the crease out.

59Rob
10-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I replaced the inner fenders on the TR3 I was restoring and ran into some outer fender alignment issues. Nothing fits like the original so metal work the crease out.

I can certainly do that, was just wondering if there was any sort of indent there to start with for carb clearance maybe? not that it appears to need it.

Geo Hahn
10-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Sometmes that area gets 'massaged' when someone fits a different manifold or non-stock air cleaners, etc -- but I do not think that crease is natural.

Tinkerman
10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Certainly don't see anything like that on mine. Fortunatly it's easy to get to so I go with Boxofparts.

Good luck, Tinkerman

59Rob
10-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys, panel beating it is, I'll need to cut out and patch it further up where it joins the firewall as well, looks like it was fixed by a chimp