PDA

View Full Version : Down Draft Vent Tube Plug...

F1LOCO
10-28-2012, 05:13 PM
For those who have removed them, question, my is moving now but it keeps moving back towards the block. Probably about a 1/2". What's behind it? Is there a chance if I remove the pan can I punch it through intact?

Geo Hahn
10-28-2012, 05:31 PM
No. As I recall the area behind it is a blind cavity cast into the block.

If it is moving then you're making progress. If you can get something stuck thru it that enables you to twist it (I used a stubby screwdriver) then you can sort of twist and pull and it should work out.

It is not made of thick metal -- the challenge (as you have probably noticed) is the lack of 'swing room' in that confined area.

F1LOCO
10-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Yes, no swing room.

Is there anything behind it that can break? I think it is as far back as it can go at this point. Didn't want to do anymore without some recon.

F1LOCO
10-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Wonder if a lapping suction cup can get enough of a bite? Took the liberty of soaking some PB Blaster and a light 2000 finish...

I need a 1/2" super strength suction cup of sorts with a handle on it...

karls59tr
10-29-2012, 09:05 PM
I think there was a previous thread on the plug removal. Someone had devised a tool I think. Not sure how to locate past threads on this forum?

sail
10-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Pulling Plug (https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/765117/Searchpage/1/Main/77308/Words/plug/Search/true/Re_Pulling_the_plug#Post765117)

There is nothing but block behind it but no room to pull it through from what I could tell, even with the pan off. Once I got a large enough hole for my homemade tool it popped right out.

F1LOCO
10-30-2012, 02:16 PM
I'll try the internal wrench bit next....thanks.

Geo Hahn
10-30-2012, 02:24 PM
If you had a big enough tap to thread in there it would grab hold of the plug pretty tight. I have done this with much smaller bushings but I expect few of us have a 1" (or whatever size) tap in the tool box.

sail
10-31-2012, 05:41 AM
Sorry to say I could not get any pull with the internal wrench or I would send you mine. It did turn it but no pull. It took me forever to enlarge the hole as I was trying different methods. Once the hole was large enough for my tool and pry bar it took only moments to hear "ping."
It will come out.

BRSLimited
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Drill a small hole in it and screw a dent puller in. They pop right out.

F1LOCO
11-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Unfortunately, no room for a dent puller while in the car.

Working on chiseling through the sides so I can hopefully collapse it and yank it out... stay tuned...only problem is 1/4" chisel is so short, can't get good hard strikes on it so it is tedious..

What a mess...

Geo Hahn
11-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I doubt you'll be able to collapse it to remove. Getting a hole thru it should help. I started with a hole and threaded in a sheet metal screw then used a nail-pulling pry bar -- but that did not work (not sure why). Eventually the hole was large enough to poke a stubby screwdriver through -- once I could both twist and pry the plug cam right out.