PDA

View Full Version : Original Fuel Pump Installation

Tugboat
10-28-2012, 12:43 AM
I am in the process of putting things back together in my engine compartment and have a question about the fuel pump. I have the original mechanical fuel pump (and two spares if anyone is interested) which I rebuilt years ago and which has been a solid performer all of this time, but I had to remove it to get to other things. Once I re-installed when I went to start things up the glass bowl was not filling with fuel and the priming lever did not move all that much. I have a vague recollection from when I installed it last (20 years ago) that there was some trick to installation having to do with the priming lever but I see nothing in the Bentley manual about it. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

TR3driver
10-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Did you try turning the engine by one revolution? If the engine happened to stop with the pump fully compressed, then the priming lever won't do much.

The only installation 'trick' that I know of is to be sure the pump lever doesn't get caught on the wrong side of the cam; but usually it won't go into place when that happens.