PDA

View Full Version : Nial, et al

Basil
10-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Looks like the eastern seaboard is going to get smacked pretty hard. Stay safe all!

aeronca65t
10-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Yep. Thanks!

Already tested my sump pump and emergency generator.

We're traveling about 100 miles south this weekend (not a great idea but it's granddaughter's first birthday), so we're already extra wary. We'll be taking the Chevy Express van instead of the Accord (taller for deeper puddles) and we've booking a room for Sunday night in case we can't get home.

We just got a contingency plan from our college in case there's an emergency closing on Monday or Tuesday.

Be safe, everyone!

Gliderman8
10-26-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm heading to Long Island on Sat and returning on Sun... the drive home should be interesting. Have to move all my deck furniture today or it might get blown away.
Stay safe everyone!

edit: figured I'd better add get the ladder out and check the gutters to make sure they're clear :eeek:

Gliderman8
10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Just came back from running a few errands. Went to Lowes and stopped at the super market... it's unbelievable that there is already a run on food and hardware. The guy at Lowes told me by mid morning they were already out of portable generators... sheeesh!
The supermarket was doing a brisk business- the storm is not supposed to hit here until Monday.

DrEntropy
10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Friends in Allentown waited too long to go out to find a generator. None to be had.

10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
They're talking 45 MPH winds at landfall. :smirk:

Fellas, this is a non event of bunny fart proportions. :rolleyes:

Surge may be a problem but otherwise you guys shoud be fine. Not having power isn't gonna kill ya.

Hey Doc, your friend look for an inverter yet?

DrEntropy
10-26-2012, 05:35 PM
They're NORTHERNERS, Billy!! Out of abundance of caution I suggested they fill the tub to flush th' necessity and get a couple 6 gallon plastic gas containers for water stowage... instead, they're gonna grab mom an' head inland to spend the time in a hotel.

<shrug>

Winds where they are, are forecast to gust as high as 70MPH, WE consider it bunny farts, THEY haven't dealt with that in a decade or more.

10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
They're NORTHERNERS, Billy!!

Enlighten me, what exactly does that mean? 75 mph gusts here and folks get surfboards out.

DrEntropy
10-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Thinkaboutit... They contend with cold, not hurricane force gales on a regular basis.

It's got 'em all in a tiz.

SilentUnicorn
10-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Thinkaboutit... They contend with cold, not hurricane force gales on a regular basis.

How about i send for ya Doc, the next blizzard we get? I will allow you to shovel my driveway. See how you can handle the cold AND wind? 15F and 30 mph winds will turn your southern cojones into ice cubes for our eggnog. :eeek:

This one has some possibilities for snow...

m

TOC
10-26-2012, 06:24 PM
All they know about in some parts is passing a law outlawing something...can't deal with something they cannot regulate!

10-26-2012, 06:38 PM

Ahhhh, like us with snow.

All they know about in some parts is passing a law outlawing something...can't deal with something they cannot regulate!

:lol:

That's too funny! Definatly too many rules for me in some of them thsr parts.

DART
10-26-2012, 06:53 PM
When you're sitting in a 100+ yr old frame home surrounded by trees of the same age, 50 mph winds w/significant rain can be a real threat. I can almost guarantee we will lose power, the only ?? will be for how long. Our driving club annual fall drive is scheduled for Sunday; 50 degrees and rain don't make for a fun day. I expect to see a 1 week postponement a/o tomorrow.

To keep from getting my keyboard slapped, I won't reply to some of the comments from the southern contingent.

GaryBeu
10-26-2012, 07:37 PM
AND...from the Far North contingent. Carla and I lived in Alaska for 50 years. Normal winter weather for us was 0 to -45 with almost daily wind of 35-60mph. One March we had 2 1/2 weeks of 0 and sustained wind of 75-80mph then it peaked out at 115mph and died down over the next few days. It's rough everywhere. We live in Kentucky now and laugh at the Hazardous Weather forcasts for winds gusting to 28mph...BUT it cuts to the bone in this humdity when it's 40 and winds are 15mph...have to admit it :smile:.

10-26-2012, 08:05 PM
When you're sitting in a 100+ yr old frame home surrounded by trees of the same age, 50 mph winds w/significant rain can be a real threat.

Newer houses and less wind? You'll be fine. :wink:

Just whatever y'all do, PLEASE....for the love of GOD...

DON'T SEND ANY SNOW DOWN HERE !!!! :eeek:

Never seen the stuff, but I heard it'll melt yer flesh and inact unfavorable legislation. :jester:

DrEntropy
10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm NOT makin' small of th' threat. Just diff'rent stuff to contend with.

Check the ethos of Special Forces, the paradigm of an Air Force PJ.

I'm past it all, in a world I chose. Comfort has its advantages! :wink:

TOC
10-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Worst thing around here is two weeks of monsoon...followed by 50MPH winds with gusts. Those big trees chop houses in half.

10-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Worst thing around here is two weeks of monsoon...followed by 50MPH winds with gusts. Those big trees chop houses in half.

Typical June-November down here. :whistle:

That being said, no way, no how would I EVER live in a place where I may be iced or snowed in....possibly for WEEKS! :shocked:

And you yankees think us suthrin' boys are nuts!!!! :whistle:

I'd take ten more Katrina before I'd allow Jack Frost to be nippin' at me chestnuts. :eeek:

I prefer them roasting. :thumbsup:

Gliderman8
10-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Got the covers over me head....

10-26-2012, 10:20 PM
I hope y'all make out alright.

Notice I didn't say "et al". I don't speak yankee. :jester:

I do use the phrase, although in other ways.

"Y'all et al dem crawfish yet brah?"

DrEntropy
10-27-2012, 01:19 PM

Monday will be rainy, it's Tuesday/Wednesday that ya gotta hide... UNDER th' bed.

10-27-2012, 05:14 PM

Monday will be rainy, it's Tuesday/Wednesday that ya gotta hide... UNDER th' bed.

Kinda hard to hide under somethin' that's floatin'. :laugh:

Basil
10-28-2012, 10:30 AM
THE PERFECT STORM (https://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/hurricane-sandy-superstorm-20121027)

Take this one serious folks!

DART
10-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Yup :grouphug:

weewillie
10-28-2012, 11:31 AM
similar path as Hazel

10-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Ol' boy on TV said maybe 50 inches of snow. :eeek:

I can't deal with anything frozen unless it's surrounded by beverage. :thirsty:

Basil
10-28-2012, 02:00 PM
New York City orders mandatory evacuation! (https://www.myfoxny.com/story/19933026/mta-subways-ready-for-hurricane-sandy)

Gliderman8
10-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Just got home from Long Island (just outside NYC)... all schools are already closed... the schools here in south central PA are already closed Mon and Tues.... it's raining right now, but not bad. They expect it to get worse late tomorrow. We have plenty of water and <span style="text-decoration: line-through">flashlights</span> torches (this is the British car forum) so bring it on mother nature.

10-28-2012, 04:56 PM
New York City orders mandatory evacuation! (https://www.myfoxny.com/story/19933026/mta-subways-ready-for-hurricane-sandy)

And where..is the BATMAN?! :laugh:

judow
10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
:grouphug: Please stay safe and be sure all electronics are charged. Cell phone maybe only open line of communication. This appears to be a very serious threat. The rain alone will mean flooding. I remember well the flood of '55 when I lived in Massaachusetts and we had a camp on a lake. I was the only one who tied my rowboat to a tree and I tied it with a lot of slack so that if the lake did flood and it did, my boat would simply float and not sink. Yep I was right. Got my little 7 1/2 hp motor after it was all over and started retrieving boats that came loose and charge some ridiculously expensive amount to return them to their owners. My friend and I simply started with the first easy one (we were in a cove so they all floated there) and would drag them up the lake and holler "Is this yours? Do you know who it belongs to?" After a while the owners were simply waiting for us to come by. I made a tidy sum. Had to pay my dad for gas though and as he was the local highway superintendent and they had a generator for their gas pumps, had an unlimited supply. Sometime when you get get lemons, ... You all know the rest.

Anyway do stay safe and we out of harms way are pulling for you.

aeronca65t
10-29-2012, 06:36 AM
All is still quiet here at 7:30 AM on Monday morning in Morris County, NJ.
(less than 50 miles west of NYC)

Waiting......

DrEntropy
10-29-2012, 07:20 AM

How about i send for ya Doc, the next blizzard we get? I will allow you to shovel my driveway. See how you can handle the cold AND wind? 15F and 30 mph winds will turn your southern cojones into ice cubes for our eggnog. :eeek:

This one has some possibilities for snow...

m

I've been in the blizzard conditions more than I care to, Mark. 25 years just west of the Appalachians, winter of '78 convinced me I'd had enough.

Just keep yerself and yours safe, mmmkay?!

10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
25 years just west of the Appalachians, winter of '78 convinced me I'd had enough.

I don't even mess with the ones at Dairy Queen. I saw it onna TV ONCE..and *that* was enough fer me.

aeronca65t
10-29-2012, 01:33 PM
There are two weather-chasing guys doing alive stream right now (click on link below).
They are in Tuckerton (near Atlantic City) right now. The feed is a bit dicey.....you have to refresh and stop/start the video a few times and then it seems to work.

Weather Stream of NJ weather (https://www.ustream.tv/channel/chasercam-live)

NutmegCT
10-29-2012, 01:45 PM
It may be the video itself, but those two guys sure seem to be driving fast for those conditions.

Gusts hit 55mph here in the last hour; 65 at BDL. Should peak around 6pm, then taper off to 35mph by tomorrow afternoon.

Rains are worse SW of the storm; winds are worse NE of the storm.

Power flickers on and off (and on ...). I rigged up a "cold saver" in the refrigerator, to keep cold air in when I open the door. Gotta keep the mind active ...

Tom

coldplugs
10-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Just got back from a weekend in Vermont - so far, so good. I've got plenty of new gas (for generator &amp; chain saws) and food for us - that's about all we can do.

10-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Just got back from a weekend in Vermont - so far, so good. I've got plenty of new gas (for generator &amp; chain saws) and food for us - that's about all we can do.

Is at least one saw in the house?

How 'bout a snow shovel?

AN5Sprite
10-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Sandy isn't going to be too much up here, especially compared to other places. Trees have no leaves, ground isn't super wet, hasn't been cold... I'm thinking we're gonna be fine....Then again, the power just went -off/on/off/on... :rolleyes:

aeronca65t
10-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I just watched our governor explain that the lower portion of the Garden State Parkway is closed all the way down to Cape May. He warned people to stay off it due to dangerous flooding.

Then I switch to the two Chase Cam dudes (see link above).
They are in Cape May and just drove around a bunch of barrels and got on the Parkway. They're on it right now.

Not following the rules! :rolleyes:

healeylvr57
10-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Greetings from the south shore of Long Island NY we live about 1/4 mile from the bay and it's pretty nasty.Wind 70-80 mph and lights flickering don't know how long power will last.Water level very high but not a danger yet.Wife left to go to work at local hospital but returned 15 min. later could not get to main road because of trees down.We have been through this before and are ready for the worst.I have my canoe tethered to the back door just in case candles and a couple bottles of wine also for emergencies.Will post more when possible.

Sherlock
10-29-2012, 07:14 PM
More sad news of a somewhat historic nature, a replica tall ship has gone down in the storm, as of right now one person missing and one person drowned, 14 other crew members have survived... https://www.thestar.com/news/world/articl...n-path-of-storm (https://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1278931--hurricane-sandy-crew-abandons-pirates-of-the-caribbean-tall-ship-in-path-of-storm)

On another note, if I was in that part of the world I'd be awfully tempted to go out with my camera, just for the chance to get some truly epic photos, the photographer in me coming out... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif I remember the time we had a huge wind storm in downtown Calgary and they shut off all entrances to downtown, I so wanted in there, or maybe I'm just crazy... :crazy:

DrEntropy
10-30-2012, 08:09 AM
That's how Pulitzers are won, James. :wink:

Sherlock
10-30-2012, 07:55 PM
That's how Pulitzers are won, James. :wink:

Yup... About the only <span style="font-style: italic">extreme</span> weather we get here is a heavy snowfall in the spring, which happens every year anyway at least once... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Speaking of which, just watched a news item from a local journalism instructor talking about how everyone is out there (in New York) to get that iconic photo that could make them famous, and that shark photo everyone is talking about? According to him a fake manipulation, a little cut and paste work...

And one snow shot since we're talking about weather, although this was just a typical winter night back in March of this year...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/6805229288_c0f274dacd.jpg

DART
10-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Well, back online. Only lost power for 36 hours; no damege to anything and able to shelter a friend who had to evac from along the DE Bay.
The loss of the replica HMS Bounty off NC coast may prove to be a prime example of poor judgement. As the Capt of our tall ship, Pride of Baltimore II, noted, you don't try to outrun a storm moving at 15mph in a boat with a top speed of 10. (POB II because original went down off Bermuda hit by rogue wave and open hatches. Loss of life.) Last I heard there was still a chance they would find the Capt. alive...he is in survival suit and water temps not too low.

11-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Well, back online. Only lost power for 36 hours; no damege to anything and able to shelter a friend who had to evac from along the DE Bay.
The loss of the replica HMS Bounty off NC coast may prove to be a prime example of poor judgement. .

Glad to hear you are o.k.

Ya knowm, I thought the same thing but didn't want to say anything. The boat I could care less about however unfortunate it may be. It's the folks who bother me. Granted, if it was ol' boy's call, then so be it. It's the other fella.

DART
11-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Billy- did you see who it was that died? Distant relative of original Bounty's Fletcher Christian. While I am very sorry she lost her life in this accident, the irony is overwhelming. Interesting how the news link article takes such pains to justify the propiety of the decision to sail into the path of Sandy.